Saturday, March 18, 2006

Trollope and Technology

I've installed a hit counter—I'm curious about how many people actually read this. I wasn't sure how to do this at blogspot, but somehow blundered onto the instructions and managed to install it successfully. I noticed that I was on a page labeled “Advanced” settings. Generally, when working on sites like this, I stay away from anything labeled “advanced” for fear of accidentally performing a function I don't want to, like turning my entire site hot pink, or somehow sending an inane automated comment to every single person at blogspot: Patience Crabstick says hello!

Patience Crabstick, by the way, is not my real name. If you know your Anthony Trollope, you probably know this, and I suppose in a town as literary as C'ville, a lot of people do know their Trollope. If you don't know your Trollope, I command you to go out and get one of his novels right now. Anthony Trollope is my favorite Victorian writer. Perhaps he didn't possess the greatest genius of the writers of his time period, but he's funny and sexy, and I love him. I chose Patience Crabstick as my name because I like the sound of it, not because she's a character with whom I identify. Poor Patience! She meets with some misfortunes. From Trollope's The Eustace Diamonds:

On that evening he returned triumphant to Scotland Yard with Patience Crabstick under his wing; and that lady was housed there with every comfort she could desire, except that of personal liberty.

Will update soon with some more renovation photos. Our roof came off last week and the whole back of the house was open to the sky. It was quite dramatic.

1 comment:

  1. You'll want to add a few hundred additional readers, since that's how many people read Charlottesville Blogs each day.

    ReplyDelete