Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Giddy-up

Is anyone else amused by the fact that Kevin Lynch, in an essay published in today's C-ville, called Rob Schilling a “show horse”? He doesn't actually say, “Rob Schilling is a show horse,” but in exhorting us to vote for Dave Norris and Julian Taliaferro, he says, “You can vote for a show horse. Or you can vote for two workhorses.” I know it's immature, but all I can think of is Rob Schilling's hair as a flowing horse's mane. Neigh! I wonder if that was Lynch's purpose in choosing the equine metaphor.

Speaking of the upcoming election, I'm still undecided. I'll definitely be voting for Dave Norris—Charlottesville really needs someone on city council who sincerely cares about this city's invisible underclass. But between Taliaferro and Schilling, I can't decide, although I'm leaning toward Schilling. I'm a bit unclear on Taliaferro's qualifications. Even Kevin Lynch has nothing to say other than he was a good fire chief. How that translates into an effective city council member is hazy. Furthermore, I tend to resent it when democratic politicians push multiple candidates as a package, and we're all supposed to be good little democrats and vote a straight democratic ticket. Kevin Lynch has as much right to express his opinion as anyone else, but I'd take more seriously an endorsement that comes from a non-partisan community member. As a democrat, I feel like a rebel by voting for a republican in these local elections. I voted for Susan (?) What'shername two years ago because I thought she sincerely cared about how expensive it is for middle class families to live here. That whole creationism in the schools issue was raised to sabotage her, in my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Before you vote for Rob, just remember that he does not support the living wage; has not supported any affordable housing initiatives, or partnerships such as with habitat; and opposed the stream protection and the steep slopes ordinances.

    David Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before you vote for Rob, just remember that he does not support the living wage; has not supported any affordable housing initiatives, or partnerships such as with habitat; and opposed the stream protection and the steep slopes ordinances.

    David Brown

    ReplyDelete