Saturday, September 02, 2006

baggage

More ranting about our car-dependant lives.

My husband and I work in the same department at UVA and we almost always take the bus to work from our house in Belmont. Parking at UVA is a hassle and it makes no sense to park at the stadium and take a shuttle to the hospital, when we can just hop on a city bus practically in front of our house. But yesterday I got an email from UVA about possible flooding this morning, and last night we decided to drive, in case the busses couldn't run.

This morning, it was clear that the busses should have no problem running their routes, but J had his heart set in driving because it is "easier." Sure, it's so much "easier" to drag 2,000 pounds of steel with you everywhere you go.

We left our house just as the city bus was passing. Employees can park in the hospital ramp for free on weekends. By the time we'd followed the long, slow moving line of cars to the top of the ramp where there was a space available, we'd spent just as much time as we would have on the bus. And our walk from the top of the ramp to the hospital was no shorter from walking to the bus stop to the hospital. How is this easier?

Usually, I walk home, so today I will be deprived of my walk. On another occasion that I drove to work, it took me so long to get out of the ramp, due to traffic, that I arrived home exactly five minutes earlier than I would have had I walked the entire two miles.

A car is just a two ton piece of baggage that you much check every time you need to go somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so impressed that you walk home every day.

    ReplyDelete