Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Moving Day

At long last, we are able to properly move into the renovated part of our house. There are still a couple of minor things to finish, like some baseboards, and trim around one door, but with the floors now refinished, the last major interior job is done. I spent Sunday moving furniture, alone because J was at work (my kids helped me move a few of the bulkier things) and I made a photo chronicle of the process. It was a little like playing "Traffic Jam," that children's game with the little plastic cars.

Step one: Remove all dishes from china cabinet


Step two: Move futon temporarily into new room to get it out of the way.

Step three: Move china cabinet to new dining room.

Step four: Move table to dining room.


Step five:Wash every single dish that had been in the china cabinet. All but two wineglasses were coated with a thick brown grime left over from the renovation. My dishwasher is broken.



Step six: move the piano. It is on castors, so this was easier than it looks, but it was still very, very hard. I spent a lot of time tugging uselessly while my feet slid out from under me. Halfway there. I was mainly worried that the piano would crash through the floor, since the old floorboards are in terrible condition, and there is no subfloor.






Success.


Step six: move futon to where piano used to be. I don't like futons, but I won the $250 gift certificate to Atlantic Futon in the WNRN fundraiser, so a futon became my destiny.


Still unclear about purpose of new room.




Late in the evening, after J got home from work, we moved the impossibly heavy shelving unit which spent months blocking the kitchen doorway, into the dining room.


The next day, Jon put castors on the bottom of my old sea chest. I bought this at my grandfather's yard sale for $5. When I got it home, I noticed the name "Murphy"--barely discernable---stenciled across the front. I called my grandfather to ask him about it, and he said, oh-s0-casually, "Oh, yes, that's the chest that came over with your great-great-great-grandparents from Ireland in 1847." Underneath all that varnish is red milk paint. Some day I hope to restore it, and get the name Murphy visible again. For now, it makes a fabulous coffee table and mitten holder.

When you include all the consulting, planning and getting the loan, etc, this project has been a full year in the making, although actual work started last February.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!