Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Anxiety

This year, the Piedmont nursing program requires that all students buy a PDA on which we will install software to aid with giving medications. I purchased the required Palm Tungsten E2 and had been told by the nursing professor to keep it plugged in for a full 24 hours before class in order that it be charged. The package instructions say to plug it simultaneously to an outlet and my computer's USB port and that it will charge in three hours. I didn't know which instructions to follow, but ended up doing as the package directed. I hope I haven't made a fatal mistake and somehow corrupted my PDA by allowing it exposure to my computer--although I know that's what you want to do in most cases.

While, for my purposes, it isn't necessary to synchronize the PDA with my desktop computer, I thought it might be nice to be able to take advantage of all its features. In a rash moment after a virus attack, I allowed my son to install Linux as our OS. I went to the Palm support website to see what options there are for Linux users, and this is what I got:

Dear Linux user: You're fucked.

Well, not exactly that. A more literal translation would be:
Dear Linux user: The good news is you can synchronize your PDA with your computer. The bad news is, we won't give you any help at all, so go down to the basement and talk to your computer geek buddies, you alternative trouble-making freak.
Have a nice day. :)

2 comments:

  1. Eh, you should be able to synchronize just fine. Grab the appropriate packages (named "pilot" or something) using the built-in package manager, and you're good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much most of your entry was "plug into the computer, blah blah blah, technical stuff I can't understand..." I just don't get the techie stuff, so I have nothing to offer except:

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete