Sunday, August 05, 2007

Libra

I'm at work, and like an idiot, I brought a book that I'm not enjoying, with the thought that, forced to read it for lack of anything else, I'll get into it. Not a good strategy. The book is Libra by Don Delilo. Amazon reviewers love it, but I am hating it. I suppose everybody knows it's about Lee Harvey Oswald and the JFK assassination. Of course I am aware that there is a conspiracy theory surrounding the event, but I never troubled to find out what sort of conspiracy. To be honest, it just doesn't interest me.

What I wish I'd brought to work: Women of the Raj by Margaret MacMillan. It's about the British women who lived in India--mainly in the 19th and early 20th centuries. I've done some reading about India lately--Paul Scott's Raj Quartet, A Passage to India, The Seige of Krishnapur by J.G. Farrell and Jan Morris' three volume history of the British Empire. It's a fascinating subject and Women of the Raj is filling in the gaps in my knowledge nicely--explaining the infamous memsahib.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!