Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Survived clinical and more

I survived my first clinical day. I was somewhat disconcerted to come across an empty curio cabinet, instead of "Curio cabinet with Mexican display." But since I am here, writing about it, you can all deduce that I am not still lost in the vast and very very posh nursing home.

I think some of the CNAs resented us. I picked up a vibe. Indeed, the CNA who gave me a patient to take in to lunch seemed to enjoy scaring me as she warned me about my patient's proclivity for hitting people. He didn't hit me, he was, in fact, charming, with a courtly way of speaking that reminded me of my grandfather. And, it turned out "feeding" did in fact mean literally feeding a patient who is unable to feed him or herself.

But All Nursing School and No Play makes Patience a Dull Girl. Here's a conversation I had with my 8 year old, who asks a lot of impossible questions.

Mr. McP: Mom, what do you think Cousin John thought the first time he saw Harry Potter?

Me: How could I possibly know that! Why do you always ask me questions that I can't answer?

Mr. McP: Because you're funny when you're frustrated. And you make a funny face.

And here I thought he was just very curious.

Here's what I've been reading lately: Banvard's Folly: Thirteen Tales of Renowned Obscurity, Famous Anonymity and Rotten Luck by Paul Collins. It's about thirteen people with Big Ideas that didn't pan out, such as John Banvard who was hailed by Queen Victoria as the greatest artist of the age. And yet why haven't we all heard of him? There are also a few interesting tidbits about other more famous historic characters who were influenced by these people. Who knew that Edgar Allan Poe was a great believer in John Symme's theory that the Earth is hollow and also populated with sentient, human-like beings? (And who knew that Poe died of rabies? I always thought he died of drinking too much and sleeping in ditches.) There's also a minor character who has the best name I've ever heard: Cyrus Reed Teed. I like to imagine writing a novel about someone with that name.

I also read Mr. Wilson's Cabinet of Wonder by Lawrence Weschler about the Museum of Jurassic Technology in Los Angeles, and the history of museums in general. That sounds really boring, but it isn't.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on making it through the first day!!!

    ReplyDelete