Saturday, October 27, 2007

Food project

Beer is going to be a problem. If only the Beer Run were open!
I ought to be keeping track of certain variables in my local food stores only project. The most important ones to me are
  • cost
  • quality
  • variety--does the store carry what I need?
  • convenience
Yesterday I spent $110, divided evenly between Integral Yoga, where I bought produce, bulk baker's yeast, cumin, rice, tortilla chips, vanilla yogurt, milk, and expeller pressed safflower oil, and Reid's where I bought two boxes of Cheerios, nutella, baking chocolate, a 5# bag of flour, peanut butter chips (for cookies) brown sugar and other things I can't remember now. Today, I popped into Feast and bought the eggs I couldn't get yesterday, plain yogurt, a bag of salad greens, some chicken salad, and some organic boneless chicken breasts at the organic butcher in the Main St. Market. I spent $23.

I was disappointed that Integral Yoga didn't have tortillas made with wheat flour and seems to only carry tortillas made with various alternative grains like spelt and brown rice. Yes, I ally myself with the mainstream wheat-eater. I guess I'm fortunate not to be allergic to wheat, but as I considered the package of spelt tortillas, I wondered if I could be allergic to spelt and frankly, brown rice tortillas are not very appealing.

Tonight I mixed the plain yogurt with curry powder, garlic and cumin, marinated the chicken in it, and made a stir fry of the chicken with rice and broccoli and spinach from IY plus frozen peas left over from the evil supermarket chain.

Lunch boxes are also going to be a problem. I have to pack lunches for four children every day. Buying food in the school cafeteria is unthinkable.

4 comments:

  1. Beer: Two words-- Starr Hill. South Street's beer is better, but you can't find it in bottles. Feast! and Market Street Wineshop both carry Starr Hill beer.

    This may or may not be so useful, but the most valuable tool I've found for packing lunch (mine, I have no kids) is a good thermos. I mean a really good thermos, like an Aladdin-Stanley. In the morning you can throw stew beef, rice, herbs and some veg in a pot, bring it to a boil, throw it in the thermos and go to the office (or school, as may be), and four hours later you have delicious beef stew. Or rice and beans, or barley and greens, etc. It requires thinking ahead the night before, but it's worth it. (Just remember that beans won't cook in a acidic environment, so leave out those tomatoes!)

    As far as tortillas go-- remember, we're blessed with a couple of nice convenience/food stores that cater to folks from south of the border. There's one on the corner of Market St and Meade Ave, another just up the hill in the Cville Produce shopping center, and in between them you can find a nice Mexican bakery. Don't forget a trip to the Oriental Foods Market in that same shopping center for cheap huge bags of rice, bottles of pepper sauce, etc. Interesting selection of teas, too. These aren't local produce, but they are sold by local merchants, and personally, I don't mind spicing up my life with some Szechuan pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spelt is just an older form of wheat. They'd probably taste similar to whole wheat tortillas, if they were made with wholegrain spelt.

    I do recommend trying some of the other markets mentioned above for somewhat fresh tortillas (they're not made in-town, but they're still pretty fresh). I only buy corn, but I think they sell wheat, too. I usually go to La Chata, but I need to try some of the other little shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patience-- John asked me to let you know that Beer Run is now open. I think you'll be really happy with the beer selection they have. Hope you'll stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I see there is nothing in my profile.. I am Molly who lives with John, a couple of backyards down from yours.

    ReplyDelete