Thursday, November 15, 2007

Fast times at Charlottesville High

In compliance with No Child Left Behind, Charlottesville city public schools are giving an anonymous survey about drug use to all students in grades 4-12. I have two children at Charlottesville High school and was sent a letter about the survey (two letters, in fact--you'd think they'd attempt to save postage and paper and send one letter per household, but whatever).
I remember taking a similar survey when I was in seventh or eighth grade. I also remember lying and claiming to have tried all kinds of drugs I'd never even been in the same room with.

Here's why these surveys are stupid: kids don't tell the truth on them. My daughter Drama Queen, a 9th grader, told me today that her honors English class took the survey together today and every kid in the class lied about his or her race. One classmate claimed to have been using cocaine since the age of ten. Another put down that he had threatened other children with guns, indeed, that he took a gun to school with him every day. My son Mad Scientist recalled preposterous answers that some of his friends had put on their surveys.

It will be amusing to see the screaming headlines a few months hence.

2 comments:

  1. That's funny! Count me as one reporter who will remember this post when those headlines come about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The surveys start in 4th grade and are HUGELY inappropriate for that age level. When I have a 4th grader next year, I'll be opting her out of the survey.

    ReplyDelete