Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Frittering

If I go into a coma right now, each of my children will have at least two presents from Santa. Most of them are wrapped, even.

My big Cumulative Final Exam is Friday. I should be reviewing electrolyte imbalances and sensory deficits. I should be boning up on the acid-base balance and oxygenation. So why am I writing my second blog entry of the day plus commenting on the serial rapist discussion at Cville news and getting involved in the "cheap beer=Sign of the Redneck" discussion over at Cvillain?

Now I am inflated with espresso and can't even consider settling down to study. Here's what I did do: I shopped!

How to make Patience spend as much money as possible in as short a time as possible? Set her lose in New Dominion Books. I found some lovely books for my children there today. For Mad Scientist, the last three books in the Artemis Fowl series. He's a bit old for them, but he enjoyed the earlier books, and I enjoyed reading them as an adult, so age doesn't matter with this funny, superbly written series. For Drama Queen, a gorgeous illustrated hardcover of The Scarlet Pimpernel. I've never read it, but I couldn't resist. For Miss G, Nancy Pearl's Book Crush. Brilliant! The author who brought us Book Lust has written a similar book for children--right up through the teen years. For Mr. McP, The Collected Tales of Nurse Matilda. I had no idea the movie Nanny McPhee is based on a book. A cute little movie, by the way. Or maybe I liked it so much because I had really low expectations. Either way, I suspect we will like the book, charmingly illustrated by Edward Ardizzone.

Finally, also for Mr. McP, The Dangerous Book for Boys. This book stirred up some controversy. (Why not the dangerous book for boys and girls? Why do boys get to learn about Latin and history and grammar and do cool stuff and not girls? Why are only boys supposed to be interested in sports and famous battles? ) I don't care, this book is awesome, a fascinating mix of cool activities, stories of famous battles, a little Latin primer, English grammar lessons, sports, geography, science. I'm excited for Mr. McP to read it.

2 comments:

  1. Must get Artemis Fowl series for Eldest.

    I heard that Emma Thompson wrote the screenplay for Nanny McPhee by hand, at her kitchen table. I don't know if it's true, but it was enough to make me want to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent book choices!

    As for the Dangerous Book, there's now a version out for girls, but I haven't read it yet. Our older girl has the Boy book and has chuckled at her way of subverting the system.

    ReplyDelete