Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A lame new year's eve downtown.

Is it just me, or is First Night really lame? I considered buying buttons and having a big family event of it, but Jon had to be at work at 7:00am today, and he hurt his back, so that plan went out the window. I looked at the list of events and nothing appealed to me. I ended up taking Miss G and Mr. McP downtown, so we could check out the scene--loads of people milling about, all of them complete strangers, which is odd because I almost never go anywhere in Charlottesville without bumping into someone I know. So we strolled the mall, and quickly ascertained that there were just two things to do: 1. eat 2. buy crappy carnival souvenirs. We'd hoped we'd be able to see the fireworks from the downtown mall--like maybe at the top of the Avon St. Bridge, but we couldn't. So we went home.

New Year's Eve is, by far, my least favorite day of the year. When you're young, it heralds the end of your Christmas vacation from school. When you're older, it is fraught with angst--this desperate need to celebrate. And celebrate what? Why should turning the page on a calender be cause for celebration?

I do like the retrospection, looking back on the past year. I usually spend part of New Year's Day reading my journal from the past year. 2007 was a mixed bag for us. I was accepted into nursing school, Jon got a big promotion at work, Mr. McP made his First Communion.


2007 was also the year my Aunt Mimi died--my mother's older sister, and my last relative on my mother's side of the family. Also, Jon's father died. Both these deaths were not unexpected, but still sad.

2008 will be challenging, as I am up against a difficult semester, starting on January 14th. As always, I resolve to read at least one book that I own, but haven't read yet (I tend to read library books, exclusively). I also resolve to see The Falsies in concert, because everyone says they're so much fun. I also resolve to eat at that take out creperie on Water St. because it looks interesting, and I've always wanted to try it. Not very demanding resolutions, but they'll be fun to carry out.

1 comment:

  1. We went to First Night last night for the first time. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I had thought it would be more fun. We enjoyed the shows we saw and our children loved the moon bounces in the Pavilion, but we didn't pay that much money to watch our girls jump around all night. Also, I was expecting more food vendors with more choices than just kettle corn and snow cones.

    As for The Flat, I highly recommend it. Come hungry, because the portions are large.

    ReplyDelete