Sunday, January 13, 2008

Things that go WHOOSH in the night

Some time between 5:30 and 6:00 this morning, I was awakened by a loud WHOOSH. At least I think it was a whoosh. Since I was sound asleep when the sound happened, it's hard to describe it. All was then quiet in my house, but I got up to investigate. Mad Scientist, my aptly nicknamed son, has disturbed my sleep in the past by performing chemistry experiments in the kitchen in the middle of the night. (Indeed, in any sudden disturbance, my first thought is always to rule out Mad Scientist's involvement. And he knows it. When the earthquake of September 2001, rocked our house, Mad Scientist immediately screamed, "It wasn't me!") But this morning, Mad Scientist was innocently sleeping and I could find no reason why it wasn't safe to go back to sleep, which I did.

Upon arising two hours later, we noticed that Avon St. was closed to traffic between Rockland and Druid. Of course I had to check it out, convinced that a suspicious WHOOSH and the closing of a major street on a Sunday morning had to be connected. It turns out a power line had been damaged in the night. I'm not sure how. The Dominion guy said, "Something got on the line," but it looked like a downed power line to me. At least, I saw a power line lying in the street. We didn't even lose power at my house, or not right away anyway. Our power did go out for the last half hour or so that the VA Dominion Power crew was working. Now all is back to normal.

I never found out if the WHOOSH and the damaged power line were connected.

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine on Altavista lost power, so did I (I live on the far reaches of Fifeville).

    I shall now blame your ghost.

    ReplyDelete