Wednesday, February 06, 2008

A very bad blogger

Not that I think the world anxiously awaits my writing, but there is this sense, when you know you're writing for an audience, that you are being a slacker if you don't update regularly.

We had a bad weekend, a weekend of bad news, and more bad news, and yet more bad news. Nothing life-threatening, but enough to make us anxious and uncomfortable.

Today was my first real clinical day of the semester. I was terrified of my patient--I had learned all about him in my pre-clinical preparation, or at least enough to know that he would be a real challenge for a second-semester nursing student, and that the likelihood of him crashing was high, since he is so very sick. Imagine my relief when I arrived on the floor this morning and discovered he'd been moved to an ICU. Not that I'm without sympathy, but I have never been so scared about what could go wrong with a patient before. My replacement patient was on his 6th day post-op, could walk and talk and do many of his self-care activities on his own.

I am trying to read Master of the Senate by Paul Caro. It is the third volume in a biography of Lyndon B. Johnson. There must be a fourth volume in the works, because this one takes us up to his election as Kennedy's VP. I confess I am skimming. Do I need to know the intricate details of how the Senate works? Such knowledge would probably enrich my life, but I don't have the energy for it right now. Also reading The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer, which is lots of fun, but I almost prefer Master of the Senate because it suits the serious mood I've been in lately.

I erroneously believed that the Virginia primary was part of Super Tuesday and almost got my car stuck in that impossible parking lot behind Clark School because of my own stupidity.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!