Thursday, April 10, 2008

Attack of the tater tots

I knew it would be difficult to go to nursing school and raise four boisterous children. I didn't know my standards would fall so far. The house is a wreck. Think dog hair on every surface, sticky cereal bowls with a skim of milk stuck to the bottom, crumbs, groceries that have not been put away for two days, laundry in various states of doneness, beds unmade, inch-thick dust on the piano.

But last night--and I shall pause in order to allow the Charlottesville parentiscenti to absorb the full horror--last night I fed my children Hillshire Farms bratwurst sausage and tater tots for dinner. Not only that, I bought the Hilshire Farms bratwurst (it was $.30 cheaper than the Johnsonville) and the tater tots at Food Lion.

It's not the first time I served such a meal, but it is the first time tater tots have crossed my threshold. And my kids didn't even like them. After dinner, Mr. McP dumped a plateful of tater tots into the kitchen trash. "That was disgusting," he said, with a little shudder.

Dogs, on the other hand, love tater tots, and mine obliged me by eating the leftovers.

8 comments:

  1. http://www.once-a-month-cookingworld.com/

    Seriously, check it out. Taking the time to do this pays off big in the end. Saves $$ and time. Perfect for the (inhale) working-homeschooling-mother of 4-nursing student-wife.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tater tots and sausage are bad? Shhh! -- don't let my family hear you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, I will check that out. Saving money on food is a big issue too. Thanks.
    C'villewords, I promise not to tell your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You think that's bad? I make mock poutine with tater tots. Some diced/shredded mozzarella, some brain gravy thinned with a bit of bbq sauce or tamarind sauce (both live in my fridge) . . . mound o' steamy tater tots. That's good eatin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time for Mr. McP and his siblings to learn how to cook dinner! Seriously, when I was in school my kids had to learn to cook, and they did. Just simple things like sprinkle a little salt and some herbs over a whole chicken and shove it in the oven at 350, along with some potatoes. I used cooking as part of the curriculum when I was homeschooling older daughter. Math, chemistry, technical writing (she had to write up recipes for her creations)

    Also, I don't know about the tater tots but sausages and waffles make a perfectly fine supper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. tater tots are one of those mystery foods that kids are supposed to like, but don't. I can't stand them, so haven't served them yet. My kids haven't forgiven me for the fish sticks I tried serving once.

    I'm a Bad Mother and serve things like English muffin pizzas for dinner. And not on the whole wheat muffins, either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i once purchased a "health food" brand of tater tots and my daughter hated them. but sausage. we do that sometimes. this might be even worse though: my daughter generally doesn't like pizza, but once i was at the aforementioned food lion and saw these cute little personal pizzas for 99 cents (food lion brand, even). i thought, well, maybe she'll like this for a snack sometimes. and she does. for dinner too. like tonight. oy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love tater tots, but only with malt vinegar. :-)

    ReplyDelete