Monday, May 05, 2008

Cranford

Who saw Cranford on Masterpiece Theater last night? I thought it was delightful--the best Masterpiece Theater I've seen in a long time.


How could you go wrong with a movie that has Judi Dench and Imelda Staunton in it? Imelda Stuanton is so funny in this movie, she steals every scene she's in.

Cranford is based on two novels by Elizabeth Gaskell and is about a quiet country village apparently populated almost entirely by unmarried women. Much of the movie is very funny, although by the end, I was crying. Part II is next Sunday. I'm blocking out my calendar.

Watching Cranford was the culmination of what I am now thinking of as my Weekend of Virtue. In addition to taking my paint to Amnesty Day at the dump, I bought plants at the City Market and put them in my garden, did a lot of weeding, and mowed the lawn again. Jon contributed by putting up our new picket fence, the old one having rotted to pieces.

I also started preparing my bedroom for paint. Now that school is done, I am going to go through each room of my house with a fine tooth comb, emptying drawers, investigating stacks of things on top of bookcases, and painting the rooms that need it. In tearing down my bedroom I found my old GRE scores. Last fall, when I was considering entering the CNL program at UVA, I was searching everywhere for these, even posted a blog entry asking how I could retrieve them from the GRE people. I've since learned that there are a lot of people in the same predicament because "find lost GRE scores" is the number one search term that brings people to my site.

3 comments:

  1. My goodness, you have lots of energy! Feel free to come over to my house and restore order. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Cranford and loved, loved, loved it. What a huge cast of familiar faces! It was full of surprises and I certainly didn't see the sad bits coming, which is always nice.

    I commend you on your week of virtue. Now I must return to my nap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i watched cranford. my husband walked in and said, "how can you stand watching all these stuffy ladies?" masterpiece theater is becoming my new regular. i enjoyed it -- love the acting, sets, costumes. i thought the lace in the cat part was a bit overdone (sound affect wise). but i liked how the episode ended on a serious note, though sad. something serious sorta needed to happen. i was surprised that the older sister died so soon in the movie; i thought she would be a central character throughout. she was very interesting. anyway, i love having something to look forward to on a sunday night!

    ReplyDelete