Monday, September 22, 2008

From the So Bad it's Good category

We rented the 1930's Nancy Drew movies: Nancy Drew, Detective, Nancy Drew, Reporter, etc. What a hoot. I don't think I've mentioned it before, but I am a big Nancy Drew fan. I read through the whole series when I was in third grade and even then took ironic pleasure in the descriptions of Nancy's outfits, and the foods she, Bess and George ate in various "lunchrooms" in the environs of River Heights. WWJD? No. My tagline is What would Nancy Drew do?

The movies are bad. They are so bad. Nothing like the books. Nancy pouts and twirls and puts on indignant facial expressions as cops tell her to go back to kindergarten and play with her dolly. The acting is terrible and the plots, which seem almost plausible in the books, are absolutely ridiculous when translated into film. In Nancy Drew, Detective, she grapples with a criminal gang who communicate with each other by sending tiny notes via carrier pigeon. Wouldn't the telephone be more convenient?

Oh, and Ned Nickerson's name is changed (inexplicably) to "Ted." I know, I know, they're both nicknames for "Edward" so what does it matter. It matters because he's Ned Nickerson!

That's all I've got. I'm sorry. School is keeping me too busy to do much thinking about amusing blog entries. Currently reading Giant by Edna Ferber. It's an irritating little book, with all the gushing about Texas and the cliched writing.

2 comments:

  1. I think we'll just stick with the 2007 movie version, which is charming and not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also heard good things about the new movie--I loved the books as a child, too. And yes, NED Nickerson. Why mess with a good name? I agree.

    ReplyDelete