Thursday, October 23, 2008

Burr and other books

I just finished rereading Burr, by Gore Vidal, a book that was so compelling for me, that the first time I read it--about five years ago--I embarked and a self study of Aaron Burr and his times that involved reading three biographies of Aaron Burr, two biographies of Alexander Hamilton, the John Adams biography by David McCullough, two novels about Burr & Hamilton, the collected letters of Aaron Burr, and some other general books about early American history. Naturally, this was all most enlightening and I was amused to discover that one of the Hamilton biographers had plagiarized--lifted a passage word for word from and did not cite it--one of the Burr biographers. Since the Burr biographer is certainly dead, and the Hamilton biographer is probably dead, there wasn't much to do with this information except smile quietly and one day put it in my blog. Also amusing, one day as I was driving through Charlottesville, I stopped at a light behind a car whose license plate read "BURRITE" which is what followers of Burr called themselves. This is something you'd never expect to see in Charlottesville, where most people are extremely fond of Thomas Jefferson, who was an even more bitter enemy to Aaron Burr than Alexander Hamilton was.


5 comments:

  1. That's all a part of history that I know nothing about.

    I just looked at all the books in your librarything. I had to chuckle at the tag "hotties" for the British Navy and Army stories! Were you a British groupie in a former life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I must have been one of those women who was always trying to smuggle herself aboard ship! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the Wilcox that headed your post today. Saw your comment about the avatar's at Jen's and noted you are a Cherry Ames fan AND a student nurse, so had to stop by! She was a hoot, and when I read her, I had no idea I would become a nurse (retired now after 30 yrs of practice). Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never knew this either--I just read a bit about him in Founding Mothers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feeling slightly guilty about knowing more British than American history right now. If the feeling doesn't pass, I'll have to hunt down your recommendation to help me get over it.

    ReplyDelete