Monday, November 03, 2008

Election Day jitters

The last Obama worker to stop at my house cautioned me to expect a two-hour wait in line to vote. Seriously? In my neighborhood precinct in a city of barely 40,000 people? Since I pass close to my polling place on my morning run, my plan is to run a bit earlier tomorrow and stop there on my way back home, right at 6:00am when they open.

Last night, I actually had a nightmare about voting. This year in Charlottesville, we are offered the choice of voting electronically or using a paper ballot. I can't decide which to chose, although I'm leaning toward paper, since I've heard that it is easier to tamper with electronic votes. Since paper hasn't been used here since 2000, there will be special instructions available for the people who chose paper. A friend of mine volunteers at my voting precicnt, something she has always done with great cheerfulness and competance, but last night, in my dream, she presented me with an L.L. Bean Christmas catalog and told me the instructions for paper voting would be found therein. I flipped through pages of dog beds and balsam wreaths, but found no voting instructions, until my friend impatiently took the catalog from me and pulled from it a tiny piece of purple paper she had inserted in it. The tiny piece of purple paper directed me to a "voting class" for which there was a long, disorganized line--the type of line in which it's difficult to tell whose turn is next, the type of line that causes me the most anxiety.

I never did manage to vote in that dream, but awoke soaked in sweat and with a vague sense of terror. I was awake for several minutes before I realized that my anxiety was related to the dream, and that election day hadn't happened yet.

Is anyone else subliminally worried about election day chaos this year?

7 comments:

  1. I'm not looking forward to standing in line tomorrow with two children in tow. I'm going to have them bring books and hopefully they can sit down somewhere while we wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not subliminally worried, I am actually worried. I know we are planning on crayons, water etc to smooth the way for people standing in line (even musicians). feeling sick just thinking of all that could go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall go at 9:00 and stand in line with the elderly citizens of my community--if I'm in line for longer than 5 minutes, it will be nothing short of miraculous. I'm happy to do my part & cast my ballot during the slow mid-morning period and leave more room for the working folks to get in and out after 4:00. I always bring children, it's a big deal for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our area has switched over to just absentee ballots. I kind of miss being able to go down and cast my ballot--I used to take a kid or two with me when I did and we'd talk about it a bit. But I guess, at least, it will be nice to not have to wait in line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was worried until we voted last week. The lines for early voting were not bad. A thirty minute wait felt pretty reasonable. I just hope we have a clear and decisive winner once the polls close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My electronic/paper choice will be determined by whichever method is quickest. I'm not taking my 18mo to the polls, but I'm trading off voting time with another mama of an 18mo (and we've recruited my work-at-home husband to pitch in). I don't want to be away from kiddo too long, but do need to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I voted early, but in Georgia we only have electronic voting with no paper trail. I worry about my vote counting.

    ReplyDelete