Thursday, December 04, 2008

Movies/hotties/procrastination

We watched In Bruges the other night. It's a good movie, but the description on the DVD case is highly misleading. It promotes this film as a hilarious comedy--a laugh a minute from oafish criminals who fall bassackwards into adventure while resting in Bruges after completing a job. So I wasn't prepared for how sad and disturbing it turned out to be. OK, I am not an idiot. I knew that In Bruges wouldn't be funny the way that Elf is funny, but I was expecting something along the lines of that film where Hugh Grant plays an art thief. Is there a movie in which Hugh Grant plays an art thief? Ah yes, here it is: Small Time Crooks. He may have been a bank robber instead. Now that is a funny film. In Bruges has funny moments, definitely, but there's an overwhelming sadness to it. Still, it's a gorgeous film with superb acting.

Watching In Bruges prompted me to take a second look at Ralph Fiennes, who is gorgeous too. Sorry for sounding like a silly school girl, but Ralph Fiennes is hot. How did I not notice this before? Maybe because the only other character I'd seem him play is Voldemort. Yesterday I rented The End of the Affair, a movie I've always steered clear of because the picture on the cover of the DVD looks a lot like the picture on the cover of The Notebook, and The Notebook, you may or may not be surprised to hear, is the worst movie of all time. Now I realize I was being grossly unfair in avoiding The End of the Affair based on its poor cover art. I know the platitude, of course, but sometimes you can judge a book by its cover, but not in the case of The End of the Affair DVD case.

But why am I watching all these movies when final exams are approaching? Procrastinating, of course. I devote far to much time to my own relaxation, and far too little to the things I have to do. It's a game I play with myself in which I see what results the bare minimum of effort can get me. So far, I haven't lost the game, in that I've gotten As on all my exams so far this semester, and all the previous semesters too. Sometimes I lose the game in other areas of my life, such as when I discovered I'd neglected to order new checks, and now I have run out completely and my new checks won't arrive until December 9th and the bills are piling up and I'm not sure I trust online bill paying. I had time to read You Can't Go Home Again by Thomas Wolfe, but I didn't have time to order checks. And I had time to attend two concerts (Southern Culture on the Skids and a Corey Harris acoustic show) but I did not have time to get my car inspected. If I get a ticket, I'll definitely have lost that game.

3 comments:

  1. i hated "the notebook" too. after my second or third time of watching the lord of the rings trilogy, i realized that viggo mortensen is a hottie. so i've since rented just about every movie he's been in. most of them are incredibly violent. but he's still a hottie never-the-less. (hidalgo is a good one to watch with the kids. . .). yea procrastination, see here how i am sitting at the computer commenting on blogs and updating my facebook status.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ralph is fine.

    I did not like The Notebook either. I have never even heard of In Bruges. Where have I been? But I'm not sure I'm in the mood for overwhelming sadness, so I think I'll skip it for now.

    Good luck with your finals. And all that other stuff you've been putting off. I am the Queen of Procrastination---sometimes it works for me, sometimes it bites me in the butt. But not often enough for me to change my ways, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your choice to look at Ralph instead of study is wise and healthy. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete