Friday, January 30, 2009

Science Friday

I'm listening to Science Friday on NPR. They were talking about a planet they're studying where they've figured out that the temperature can fluctuate as much as 700 degrees in a few hours. I thought about how my oven can go from 0 to 350 in ten minutes and decided not to be impressed. (I know! My oven is not built on a planetary scale, but humor me. I felt clever.) What amused me is that soon after I had that thought, the scientist they were interviewing used oven language to illustrate how hot this planet feels when it is closest to its star on its orbit.

School is chugging along. Since clinicals are not yet in full swing, I have not experienced the full horror. That comes in two weeks. This semester we do Maternity nursing and Pediatric nursing. I thought this would be the semester where I could slack off a bit, but it turns out that there's a whole lot about obstetrics that you don't learn when you are pregnant yourself. And I did a lot of reading about birth during my pregnancies. As for peds, there will be less writing overall for the care plans. "We know you can write a pathophysiology paper," the instructor said, so we only have to write on patho per patient rather than five. And we don't have to hand in our medication sheets, which is awesome because while I'll still do a write-up about drugs with which I'm unfamiliar, I at least don't have to write up things like docusate, esomerprazole, or tylenol every single week. On the other hand, the writing may turn out to be more challenging because we have to tailor our interventions to the developmental age of the child. This means we can't just write that a four year old child who had surgery the day before will deep breathe and cough or use his incentive spirometer. We have to say HOW we'll get the child to cooperate with our intervention for every single thing we do, including vital signs. I see myself inventing little games and trying to write out the details and that is going to be a pain. And there will be a lot of IM injections in OB. I can do subcutaneous injections (such as insulin) with no prob, but IM is a little scary.

2 comments:

  1. I just am in awe that you are doing this. Good luck with this rotation. You're going to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with this phase of nurse school!
    I'd have thought the same thing about the temperature fluctuation--I imagine you felt quite superior when you heard them use the oven on the air!

    ReplyDelete