Monday, March 09, 2009

Spring break

It is Spring Break and I am trying to make it productive, yet also restful. I ought to get dressed every day, at least. No, I have a list:
  1. File our taxes
  2. Complete research project for OB clinical
  3. Complete research project for my Nursing Dimensions class
  4. Complete reading assignment for OB
  5. Study for pediatrics exam which will be when we get back
  6. Apply for nursing license, which includes various sub-steps like getting another passport photo and getting the form notarized, getting my transcript sent to the board of nursing, and paying $130.
  7. Apply to take the NCLEX exam--another multi-step process with another hefty fee-$200.
  8. Figure out how to get Euros for our trip to Rome.
Here it is Monday, and I've completed #s 1, 2, & 8. I had been really worried about the Euros. I know you can use your ATM card in Europe and I know we can use our credit card too, but I need some cash on hand when we get there. The nice man at the bank was helpful, but I have learned that there's no way to get Euros without getting screwed paying a hefty fee. There's a cool thing called a Visa Travelmoney card, which is like a debit card that you load up with cash that you can then withdraw from any ATM in Europe. You can reload it with cash if you spend it all. It's safer than a credit card because if someone steals it, it's not linked to you, personally, and I think, like traveler's checks, you can get the money back and there's no fee from the bank for using a foreign ATM. It sounds almost too good to be true, but then I learned that you're charged a 7% fee when you withdraw money in foreign currency. (WTF? The whole point is for you to be able to have easy access to foreign currency.) You can buy them from your bank too, but blah, blah, blah, this post is getting boring.

Then there are all the things I have planned, but have not put on my list. Mr. McP and I are going to a children's performance of the Richmond Ballet on Tuesday, and I think I'll take my girls to the adult performance on Wednesday. I'm getting a haircut on Thursday.

Tonight is the big neighborhood meeting to SAVE OUR BUS STOP. We live on a city bus route, something I've always considered to be convenient and desirable, but now one of the neighbors has decided he doesn't like the noise of the bus, and according to other neighbors, it looks like the consequences of that might be eliminating our bus route's loop through our neighborhood, which would be inconvenient to people like me who sometimes take the bus, but, more importantly, would be a serious hardship to all the people who already live a long walk from our stop--the extreme southern limit of the bus route--and who depend on the bus to get to work. So I and several of my neighbors will be at a meeting with the city transportation manager this evening to advocate for our bus stop. In my opinion, the bus, which passes my house on the half-hour all day long, makes very little noise, and in any case, people who object to public transportation should consider living outside the city. The bus drivers are invariably cautious and I do not perceive the buses as posing any traffic danger to pedestrians in the neighborhood. And why ONE person's complaint would prompt the city to remove our bus is beyond me. So there.

5 comments:

  1. When we were in England, we got a little bit of cash at the money changer at the airport. Surprisingly, we did not get gouged. After that, we hit ATMs and the rates were really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your bus meeting--I don't understand the mentality of people who kvetch without looking at the bigger picture--like WHY does the bus stop there? And how MUCH might it POSSIBLY disrupt your life vs. how MUCH does it convenience the lives of others.

    Off my soap box--and hoping you get your Euro business squared away with minimal fees & hassle. Garh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your bus meeting--I don't understand the mentality of people who kvetch without looking at the bigger picture--like WHY does the bus stop there? And how MUCH might it POSSIBLY disrupt your life vs. how MUCH does it convenience the lives of others.

    Off my soap box--and hoping you get your Euro business squared away with minimal fees & hassle. Garh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you stick it to them good at the bus meeting. I imagine you would make a formidable opponent in a debate.

    Good luck with all that stuff you have to do.

    I should ask my husband what he does for cash when he goes to Europe. He's always there on business, though, so maybe he lets his expense account cover the fees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There will be an ATM in the airport. If you have an account in the US with a credit union, they usually only take a 1% charge for withdrawing money from a foreign ATM. The currency might be in larger denominations than what you want immediately, so then you'll have to stop at a newsstand or coffee vendor in the airport and buy something small to get change.

    ReplyDelete