Saturday, April 18, 2009

Shattered

I didn't get the job--the nursing job I interviewed for back in January. I don't want to describe how devastated I am. I got the letter when I arrived home from my last clinical day--brilliant timing, I must say. The letter says I should get a year's experience at some other hospital and reapply. Now, after the weeping, and the surveying of the destruction of my planned career path--1. work at large teaching hospital, 2. get into their RN-BSN program, for which they will pay my tuition, 3. become a nurse anesthetist--I am able to say, "Let's think about this rationally." These are my options:

1. Work at a community hospital--but probably not the one in Charlottesville, since I've heard they're not hiring, so I would have to work at a distant rural community hospital.
2. Get a job at a teaching hospital in Washington or Baltimore (the one in Richmond has a hiring freeze) and get a little apartment for myself there so I could commute back and forth. Only one doesn't "just" get an apartment in Washington.
3. Get a job in an outpatient setting, like an urgent care center, only then I'd be functioning more at the level of an LPN than an RN.
4. Get a job in a nursing home, where RNs function as supervisors for a staff of LPNs and nurse's aids.
5. Not try to get a job at all right now and wait six months and hope the economy gets better.

It's funny how the climate for new graduate nurses has changed so radically in less than a year. Students who graduated from my school last year were getting calls with job offers when they were still in their cars driving home from their interviews. Now I'm hearing disturbing stories like this one, about nurses getting laid off.

I am trying not to take it personally, but it's hard not to. They did hire a few--a very few--students from my school. Why not me? I have a 4.fucking0. I had excellent recommendations from my clinical faculty. What is going on? But when one is planning a career, it's best not to publish one's most rancorous opinions on the internet, not even under a pseudonym.

7 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't get the job. Go enjoy Italy then worry about the job later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry it didn't work out. I'm with Cat -- enjoy Italy and then worry about the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry. :( I know you'll find something awesome and wonderful. That job was just another job that you would have been miserable in -- and another situation is waiting around the corner that will be perfect and make you happy.

    My mother used to say about ex-boyfriends, "Just another man you weren't supposed to marry."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that just STINKS. I'd agree with the other commenters: enjoy Italy and your time off and think about it later, Scarlett.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bah!

    Never give up. Never surrender.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :(

    Well, you didn't want that job anyway. It would have sucked. Have fun in Italy and get a much better job when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your a bright girl, something will come your way. It is just a sign of the times. Not to worry, when your hands are full how can you accept something else.

    ReplyDelete