Monday, July 13, 2009

The boring life

A boring life is a lucky thing, or so I've been telling myself. If you could go back in time, wouldn't you rather be the person whose most exciting life event was the day the cow gave birth to twins? Or do you want to be the person who was there when the Vikings invaded the village, or a stranger checked into the inn and turned out to have a big black buboe under his arm? No, it's the boring life for me, please.

Yesterday, I was reading an article about Sarah Palin in the Wall Street Journal. I like to read articles about Sarah Palin because they make me feel smug and superior. Indeed, her ability to show others their superiority is the reason that 98% of Americans can't get enough of her. So I was reading this article, and it was OK--it's didn't highlight any new stupid thing Ms. Palin had said, but was a general discussion of her inadequacies. It is unfortunate that the author chose to conclude the article with a list of all the terrible things in store for our future: a complete economic collapse, attack on a major city with a weapon of mass destruction, etc. Way to ruin my cozy Sunday morning superiority fix. I guess the author's purpose was to highlight all the situations for which Sarah Palin would be unprepared if she were our vice president, which seems unnecessary since, let's face it, Sarah Palin has less chance of being elected president than I do. (And as a side note, wouldn't it be awesome if we had a nurse as the president of the United States?)

So anyway, it's unpleasant to contemplate the destruction of society as we know it, but it's also not so much fun to be bored all the time, which I have been ever since we got back from Rome. I was so dismayed to find myself back in Charlottesville that I wrote an intense anti-Charlottesville rant, but can't decide if I should publish it. Meanwhile, I've been de-fleaing my dogs and studying for the NCLEX, which is the exam you have to pass in order to be a registered nurse. Studying for the NCLEX isn't boring so much as it is an exercise for people who wish to cultivate a desire to shoot themselves in the head. Nursing school seems like something that happened a long time ago to a person I barely know.

And because I need excitement, I'm letting my daughters paint their bedroom by themselves. I thought it was a project that a 13 year old and a 16 year old could handle by themselves, but then Miss G, the 13 year old, asked--I swear this is true-- "Do we have to move the dresser and paint behind it?" and I realized they were going to need more supervision than I had planned on providing.

6 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to read your anti-C'ville rant. Cannot. Wait. Because even though I love this town a great deal, there are things about it that are not fabulous and I know you will hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, I think anyone could in conscience rant about their hometown. What I'm curious to see is if our rants would be similar!

    Ack, Palin. I wish she'd just go away. Maybe a long vacation across her back yard to Russia or something...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite comment about Sarah Palin in the wake of her resignation (from Frank J. at IMAO): "My guess is Palin does have some sort of master plan, and it ends with liberals being rounded up into death camps just like they suspected! The death camps will have wallet making, canoeing, and nature hikes. And death."

    I like it because it doesn't make any sense. Just like everything else in this crazy, mixed-up world!

    Good luck with the NCLEX. Do you pronounce that "En-clecks," perchance? Because that's how I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the bright side, the good thing about boring is that it's an acceptable alternative to death. Most of the time.

    Good luck on your test and with finding something exciting to do that doesn't involve mass destruction or the plague.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I like to read articles about Sarah Palin because they make me feel smug and superior." Snort! Me too! I snorted/choked so hard at that above pretty sentence, I'm convinced my swallow of coffee took on the proportions of a buboe. (And OMG, if I had a real buboe, I would SO name it 'Sarah.')

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so want to read your Charlotsville rant. In no small part because I am trying to convince Anthony we should eventually move to warmer climes and VA is a bit warmer than NY.

    ReplyDelete