Monday, September 28, 2009

I am a camera

TV shows will sometimes use the device of allowing the camera to be the eyes of a particular character. It seems this technique is commonly used on hospital shows, so it was fitting that today at work I had the feeling that I was a camera. My new colleagues bustled about, paying me no attention--not out of rudeness, but because they were doing their jobs--so I felt invisible which is a not unpleasant feeling, really. I was a tiny bit disconcerted by the two nurse's aides who look exactly alike. At first, I was like, "Oh, wait, I thought she was wearing a pink top, not a flowered one. Oh, there she is again in pink. What the...?" I even surreptitiously looked at their ID badges, which have different last names, but that doesn't mean much since they could be married. No two people who look that much alike could be unrelated. What am I supposed to do, say: "Oh, just to satisfy my own curiosity, could you tell me if you two are twins?" *

Then there's the bike riding. I did go out an buy myself a bike. They say you never forget to ride a bike, but I'm not so sure of that. I mean, I can ride a bike, if my demented careening can be called that, but my skills seem to have degenerated since the last time I sat in the saddle, which was, oh, about 1991. I did, however, successfully bike to work today, although not without mishap. I couldn't figure out how to unlock my U-lock (oh, off to a great start) and then I couldn't figure out how to attach it to the special holder the bike shop guys installed for me, and when I got the the hospital, windblown and breathless, the bike racks were gone! I found them eventually--they'd been moved across the street--and in my intense relief at locating them I blundered across the street in a clumsy manner and almost got hit by a bus. But I was right about biking to work being less tiring than walking, if somewhat more exciting. I have to exert myself a few times to get up the hills, but I do a lot of coasting as well.

*I found out later that they are identical twins, both working as nurses' aides on the unit.

10 comments:

  1. The adventures begin! Can't wait for the workplace stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise you, your bike skills will come back quickly. My first two weeks -- after a 30 year hiatus -- were a bit rough, but by a month in, I was an old pro at it. Even C'ville's hills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applaud you for biking to work! That is a commitment to yourself and to the environment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's easily been 25+ years since I've been on a bike. How old am I???

    Be careful out there!

    Speaking of workplace twins, did you see the story about the delivery guys who worked together and found out they were long-lost brothers (same parents, each given up for adoption at birth)? It was awesome.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/32926023#32926023

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had to come over to visit fron Green Girl's blog, because your name, "Patience, Crabstick" came from one of our fave books! I just finished reading "How To Ride A Dragon's Storm" to my boys, and loved it as usual... Your name cracked me up. I have a seriously 8-year-old sense of humour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And? I got the worst case of saddle-bum the other day, riding with my son to school. Ow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have asked the "twins" if they were related.

    In my younger days (yeah, back in the 1970's) I would do 25 mile bike rides on weekends. Now I'm so clumsy that I would be afraid to get on a bike out in public!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Biking leads to adventures... bring the camera with you! -Paul the grocer

    www.mostlygrocery.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nan, I've never read "How to Ride a Dragon's Storm" but now I'm intrigued to learn there's another book that uses this character name. I will definitely have to read it. I got the name "Patience Crabstick" from Anthony Trollope's novel, "The Eustace Diamonds" which is also a very good book. Patience is a very minor character, but I love her name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a pretty cool story, Madhousewife.

    ReplyDelete