Thursday, February 18, 2010

Movie review

Mr. McP and I finally got to see The Lightning Thief, which I watched, not without enjoyment. We chose a Monday night--a snowy Monday night--and the theater was thinly populated with introverts like me who want to watch a movie without forced contact with a horde of other people. The movie itself: I wasn't expecting much after reading the unenthusiastic reviews, and if you expect little, you're not likely to be disappointed. Mr. McP was on the edge of his seat for much of the movie, and I was just as entertained watching his rapt little face as I was with the film.

I could forgive the ponderous dialogue, the embarrassing sword play-substituting-for-sex, the, Oh GOD, that's PIERCE BROSNAN as Chiron? (he looks awful and his acting is worse), the obvious Harry Potter knockoff (imagine Hogwarts turned into a camp in the Adirondacks with housing curiously unsuited to the cold northern New York climate) for the plot point that makes New Jersey the first stop on the road to hell and Steve Coogan's performance as Hades, although he only gets about three minutes of screen time. Sean Bean, another of my favorites, plays Zeus, and he isn't bad if you can accept Zeus as a tough guy from the north of England who wears a leather jacket. Poseidon (Kevin McKidd) is forgettable and Melina Kanakaredes as Athena, comes across as a mute version of the psychology chick on Star Trek: The Next Generation. Logan Lerman as Percy Jackson is not without charm but Catherine Keener as his mother looks like all her nutrition comes from these four food groups: cigarettes, pepsi, vodka, and more cigarettes. You wonder what Poseidon saw in her. Hogwarts "Camp" is for young demigods, and from the looks of it, the gods were extraordinarily busy seventeen years ago. Overall, I give Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief a "meh."

3 comments:

  1. What a disappointment that the movie has such an amazing cast and it's still just "meh."

    But, I'll probably watch it just for Kevin McKidd and Sean Bean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin McKidd and Sean Bean are just about enough to get me to see a movie, too.

    My two oldest want to see this--they've both read the books. I'm on book 3. They are reasonably entertaining. I probably enjoy the chapter titles the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer. I hope the popcorn was fresh at least!

    ReplyDelete