Friday, February 05, 2010

Spending the storm in a bar and revealing my Irish heritage

The "Snowmageddon" as people are calling it, has started. I worked night shift last night, and packed the bare essentials-- a pair of underwear, some contact lens solution, two library books--in case I would be required to stay at the hospital. I missed the email telling the Thursday night shift to be sure to pack 72 hours worth of clean clothes and to arrange child care--like it's so easy to arrange child care at the last minute.

My shift was buzzing with talk about the possibility of getting locked in. I had been fairly cheerful about packing my single pair of underwear, but when the concept of actually being LOCKED IN by my employer and forced to stay and work sank in, I was a tad traumatized. The first image that comes to mind when you think of locked-in employees is sweat shop factory fires. Luckily for me, the day shift nurses made it to work--it had only barely started snowing by 07:00--and I was able to leave on time, feeling extraordinarily lucky. I'm not scheduled again until Tuesday.

And now the snow is falling, gently but steadily. I awoke at noon and discovered Jon had gone to his favorite bar with two of the neighbors. My kids were mildly scandalized, as evidenced by this little conversation between Mad Scientist and myself.

Mad Scientist: Isn't it inappropriate to start drinking in a bar before noon?
Me: Usually, but there are a few times when it's acceptable, such as St. Patrick's Day, and, and..
Mad Scientist: And funerals?
Me: Yes, funerals, and..
Mad Scientist: And big-ass snowstorms.

3 comments:

  1. Watching with great interest as the boom is lowered. I don't think it's going to come over as far as Norfolk this time though. Stay warm! Glad you made it home and now have limitless underwear choices! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Light snowfall started here about half an hour ago. We're not supposed to get the hairy stuff until after dark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're not locked in!

    I can see the Bypass from my front porch and there's been no traffic pretty much all day.

    ReplyDelete