Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pickles and other matters

Company Pickles

Our dear, dear friends came to visit us last weekend and besides their delightful company, they graced us with a jar of pickles, made by their aunt.  They were labeled Company Pickles.  Having special, extra-delicious pickles for guests implies that there are also inferior pickles for everyday use.  But why not make all your pickles "company" pickles and not bother with the inferior ones at all?  I asked my friend what was special about the company pickles and he said, "Cloves make it company."

Charlottesville in the movies

I watched Swedish Auto the other night, which was filmed entirely in Charlottesville.  I liked it, but I wouldn't recommend it to others without reservation--there's not a whole lot of action.  Still, it won some awards and if you're into indie movies or want to see January Jones before she was Betty Draper, this film is a good place to start.  It was fascinating to me because of the Charlottesville setting.  Much of the movie was filmed in places that I walk past or visit almost daily.  I half expected to see myself walking past in the background.  It is very recognizably the real Charlottesville, and yet different somehow as well.  The Charlottesville in the film seems sweeter and quieter, a true sleepy southern town.  In pondering what it is about the Swedish Auto Charlottesville that is different from the real Charlottesville, I realized that in the movie, you don't see or hear any traffic.

Girls on Film

My friend Jen on the Edge is doing a project, encouraging people to post real pictures of themselves.  The origins of the project was her realization that many women hate their own looks so much that they avoid being photographed.  I'm definitely one of that group.  Most of the time I look absolutely horrible in photographs and I'm so anxious about not looking horrible that I have a frozen deer-in-the-headlights look.   Anyway, as part of her project, I'm putting up a real-life, non-posed, no-make up picture of myself (and family) taken this weekend.  Since it's a candid photo I don't look posed and frozen. (And what I'm doing is trying to hit Jon.  I think it's brilliant that I was caught with hand upraised.)



12 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with your assertion that you look horrible in photos. Every photo I've ever seen of you has been quite the opposite. In fact, I usually think something like, "I wish I had Patience's hair" or "I wish I had Patience's wardrobe." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girlfriend, you look FABULOUS! I love your hair, your smile, the fact that your legs are long and you wear blue jeans like I WISH I could wear blue jeans...
    Cloves in pickles? Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been reading your blog that long, but I've yet to see a bad photo of you. And this one is particularly nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of the special pickles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom makes company scones. I asked her what made them company and she said "cream". Obviously, you can make anything company simply by adding something that starts with C.

    Also, I totally get where you're going with pictures as I carefully curate all of mine too, allowing only the best to make it public. i support the movement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look lovely and your smile is beautiful! Mmmm I want some company pickles right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the group, I think you look great in that photo. I lean towards more natural photos anyway, captures the true emotion of the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, I think you look really good there. Relaxed and smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Relaxed, smiling, natural... these things make a great photo!
    Now for some reason I want to make scones and eat pickles...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hand raised like you're going to ask a question not hit someone. You are too nice

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a great candid of you and your whole family--I'm wondering who took it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a good candid photo. You are an especially attractive group!

    ReplyDelete