Friday, March 30, 2012

Friday Reading Assignment: Southern Gothic

It's spring, everybody is busy and distracted and probably on spring break.  Let's do a short story this week.  I recently read Bride of the Innisfallen by Eudora Welty, a collection of stories published in the 1950's.  The first story, called "No Place for You, My Love" is today's assignment.  Anything by Eudora Welty is excellent, but I chose this story because the writing is so evocative of the deep south.  The plot is secondary--a man and a woman, each involved in relationships with other people, meet in New Orleans and go for a drive, heading south.  One of the characters wonders if there is anything south of New Orleans, something the reader might wonder as well.  This story contains some of the best descriptive writing I've ever read.  You become completely immersed and even now, weeks after I read the story, I can still feel it.

6 comments:

  1. I love short stories.
    I love southern gothic.
    I've read this story and I will have to revisit it, as it's been a while since I've read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this story somewhere!
    And I am nuts (like pecan and peanut nuts, natch) for Southern AND Gothic AND Southern Gothic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat, thanks for mentioning this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I'm reading Welty for a book group discussion in May, it'll be my first ever, Delta Wedding. It looks really good (and it was my suggestion) so I'm happy to hear that she's great. I have a volume of her short stories so I'll have to look for this one. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've actually got be intrigued. I'll have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Welty a lot also, thanks for letting us know about this story. My favorite Welty, of the maybe seven stories I have read is "A Well Worn Path"

    ReplyDelete