Monday, April 30, 2012

Me! Me! Me!

The big scary upgrade is over and done with.  Our test scripts will be stored forever, somewhere in Richmond.  If I had known that, I might not have gone overboard with the mocking Dick and Jane style when I wrote mine.  When you take a huge project and test it in a controlled environment, with test patients, and then let it loose for use by hundreds of people with thousands of real patients, issues will surface that never occurred during the testing.  Last Monday and Tuesday were very busy but things seem to have settled down.












Source: google.com via Aileen on Pinterest




Grace's driving lessons continue. She had some beginner's luck at first followed by many episodes of stalling until we were both so frustrated there was nothing to do but clench our teeth and stare straight ahead and say nothing.  Then at last she seemed to be getting the hang of it.  I decided to let her graduate from empty parking lots to the city streets, whereupon there was an unfortunate incident in which she put the car into first gear instead of third and nearly hit a telephone pole in the ensuing confusion.  We haven't driven since.

I changed my running route.  I've been running the same route, three-to-six times a week for twelve years, with minor changes to add or subtract distance depending on my fitness level du jour.  Indeed, I've been running since I was eighteen and in all that time I've had just three running routes.  Clearly I am not receptive to change in this area of my life.  A good running route is like a favorite pair of jeans, comfortable and familiar.  I have the location of all the sidewalk bumps memorized (I usually run after dark) and I know where all the mean dogs live. There's a dog at the corner of Avon St. and Belmont Ave that has been trying to get a piece of me since the year 2000.  My running route has outlived some of the other mean dogs who have either moved away or died.  To have to get used to new sidewalk bumps and new mean dogs is a hassle.

But then I got a hankering to run through Riverview Cemetery, which is perched on a hill in Woolen Mills.  You can see it, briefly, in this trailer to The Parking Lot Movie, (at about the 14 second mark) and can see why I wanted to spend some time there.




I was nervous before starting.  There were some douchey pedestrians near Beer Run--I need to stay on the junkyard side of the sidewalk, which is also, conveniently, on the opposite side from the parking lot of Latino assholes.  The hills were kind of killer.  I used to think that running these hills made me a badass, but actually, it's made me a woman with thunder thighs.

Then, in the cemetery, where it was nearly dark, I saw an animal whose hopping gait made me think it was a bunny.  You know how much I love bunnies.  Poor soft, sweet, fat, Georgie.  I miss him.  But then I noticed, barely perceptible in the gloom, a bottle brush tail and I realized it was a fox.  I'm not so sure about foxes.  Aren't they often rabid?  A rabid bear--the first ever recorded in Virginia-- attacked two men here recently.  We know bears visit the city from time to time, and even stroll down my driveway.

So where was I?  Oh, the fox in the cemetery.  He didn't seem terribly interested in me.  I don't think his presence will prevent me from running there.  Indeed, I am dying to do this route again and it has the advantage of allowing me to avoid the sidewalk-blocking travesty on the Belmont Bridge, although I still want them to patch the damn sidewalk and take the fence down.

Shameless flaunting of hills:




My new route.




My old route wasn't exactly flat: 





As you can see, C'ville is a tough town for runners, and for fledgling stick shift drivers.

And that's enough about me for a while.  What's up in your life lately?

11 comments:

  1. I love running through Woolen Mills, although I've never actually veered into the cemetery for a run through there. Will have to add it the next time.

    I vary my running routes with every route because I like the variety that the changes in location and distance bring me.

    I really like the run that takes me down Locust to Downtown, then up Main Street to UVA, through the University and back home again. For me, it's 7-8 miles, depending on where I turn around.

    Right now, I'm very focused on hills, as I'm doing the Montalto Challenge this weekend and I'm convinced I'll be the last one up the mountain, which is a shame I'd like not to bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on week 3 of running for the first time ever in my life. 37 is the year of realizations for me and the first was that I'm just going to slowly get bigger and bigger if I don't get off the couch. Sounds obvious to some but it took me a long while to get there.

    Right now I am dealing with knee trouble. 37 years of lethargy haven't exactly given me very supportive bones and joints. I'm figuring out how to work with my knees and keep running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on week 3 of running for the first time ever in my life. 37 is the year of realizations for me and the first was that I'm just going to slowly get bigger and bigger if I don't get off the couch. Sounds obvious to some but it took me a long while to get there.

    Right now I am dealing with knee trouble. 37 years of lethargy haven't exactly given me very supportive bones and joints. I'm figuring out how to work with my knees and keep running.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kind of with you on running the tried and true path--but out here in the country, I don't have many options, either.
    SO glad your project was a success. That "I don't test my code" cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess running is useful if you are at risk of meeting up with rabid bears and foxes. Thank goodness I live in civilized parts. We can just saunter around here and still be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am running up and down my stairs to keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Jen, my running skills are reduced to NOT running after students who have done something bad, and NOT running after our wee dog who buggered off to our neighbours section and NOT running after my Beloved.

    OOps, sorry, I mean of course, ALWAYS running after my Beloved.

    Does that mean your script is in Beta?
    Best of luck. The best testing is user testing.
    Hope it doesn't kill someone.

    Well done in your driver training, you lasted a lot longer than me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my...it all sounds quite periless....!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only way I'll run is from the scene of a crime. I am walking again, after long years of inactivity. I haven't had to beat off rabid dogs yet, but avoiding neighbors who want to chat is a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lived across the street from a most glorious old cemetary in college. When we lived in Woolen Mills, we were known to wander around that cemetary. It has nice views.
    Mixing it up is always good. I am always trying to mix up the path of my weekly walks. No matter the path, it's always uphill both ways around here.

    If you see foxes during daylight hours, you need to worry if they are rabid. Closer to dark? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I lived across the street from a most glorious old cemetary in college. When we lived in Woolen Mills, we were known to wander around that cemetary. It has nice views.
    Mixing it up is always good. I am always trying to mix up the path of my weekly walks. No matter the path, it's always uphill both ways around here.

    If you see foxes during daylight hours, you need to worry if they are rabid. Closer to dark? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete