Monday, May 28, 2012

Catalog of woe

Am home in Virginia to take care of kids and work and bills and stuff while Jon stays in Buffalo with sick child who is still in the hospital.  Speaking of bills, got a letter from our insurance company saying that after reviewing our child's case, they have decided to cover the hospital admission.  That's a huge relief, but something really needs to be done about insurance companies that punish you for "out of network" expenses.  If you're sick when you're traveling, what the fuck are you supposed to do?  A few years ago, Jon broke two ribs when we were in Buffalo.  We had to pay 100% of the cost of his x-rays.  Whatever, I'm just grateful no one is saying, "Pay $10 million now, please."  I'm grateful that we have insurance.  We need to stop fucking around with health care and just cover everybody.  NOBODY should have to choose between paying their bills and getting health care. 

My new washing machine died.  Isn't that lovely?  Isn't that the most fantastic thing you've ever heard?  Six months old and it dies mid-cycle the night before we leave for a trip and I'm recovering from an all-day puking extravaganza and bailing the machine out by hand with a plastic mixing bowl.

Hey business owners, listen to this.  Laundromat A is open six days a week and closes at 6:00pm. Laundromat B is open seven days a week and closes at 10:00pm.  Which one do you think I graced with my custom?  Want customers?  Make your business accessible to people who have stuff to do during the day.

I hurt my knee playing frisbee.  WHO DOES THAT?  It's not especially painful, but my knee now has a worrisome tendency to buckle with no warning and I have to walk like an old person.  It's my right knee, and my right leg is kind of important for controlling the car, but I foolishly drove all they way home from Buffalo. Don't worry, I was fine. Running is out of the question right now as is walking to work, which is what I usually do.

In the midst of all the crisis when we were in Buffalo, our neighbor, who'd been looking out for our dogs, called and said that Luna, our old dog, had run away.  She is nearly 13 years old and I thought she had dragged herself off to die somewhere.  Turns out, she had squeezed her fat self underneath the deck in the back yard and was trapped.  Our neighbor had to dig out a tunnel under the deck so she could get out.  Our neighbor is a saint.

What else could go wrong?  Maybe I'll break an arm, or we'll all come down with head lice.

14 comments:

  1. The shit storm needs to move to someone else's life. You've had enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Not Beehive said. Jeezy peezy, y'all have had enough of the universe effing with your family this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my....they do say it comes in 3s so you're in credit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there is anything good in there, it's that your washer should be under warranty. The knee, not likely. Glad the dog is ok and I'm sure your baby will be soon. I think there's a light at the end of this tunnel! Virtual load-sharing zinging your way...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this week will bring some good tidings for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is not good. I think the only way left to go is better? I sure hope so anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending hugs and hoping this week brings better things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, you definitely win for worst week ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buffalo isn't your luckiest city is it?

    I'd stay away from it if i were you.

    Actually, after reading this post, I'd just head for the basement and wrap myself up in bubble-wrap and cotton wool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh what a mess you've got going on there. I'm glad the insurance is paying up. Peace, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dude, at least you're deeply FUNNY about your life being a shitstorm. You should have gotten to know Millie before she moved to nearly-Canada. You two would get along.

    So sorry about... everything. If you need a drink, drive to Richmond and I'll make you one pronto. I'll make you several. I'm for serious. My husband goes out of town on Friday and I intend to live it up, pregnant-ass lady that I am. You should join me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belatedly adding my prayers and good thoughts for you and your family. All bad things must come to an end eventually, right??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sigh. It does come in a pile doesn't it? Sorry to hear that, I hope June works out a bit better for you. Also - agree about insurance.

    ReplyDelete