Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Update and Thank you

My healthy children have been dispatched by airplane to their schools while Jon and I wait in Buffalo for the sick child to be well enough to be discharged.  I realized just this minute that each of my four children is in a different school this year.  Grace and Seamus had a harrowing air experience yesterday.  Ordinarily, I am careful to allow a two hour layover when flying my children unsupervised.  This time, in my distraught state, I didn't check the layover, which turned out to be very brief.  So brief that when their initial flight was delayed by just ten minutes, they were at risk of missing their connecting flight to Charlottesville.  As it was, they landed just as their connecting flight was boarding and had to sprint to their gate.  The flight to C'ville was on a teeny prop plane and Seamus tells me they had bad turbulence, but they are now home safe. 

I am overwhelmed by the kindness we have received from friends and family and even complete strangers:  The US Airways employee who not only let me go to the gate, even though I did not have a ticket, but wrote down for Grace which gate they'd be arriving at and which gate they'd need to get to for their connecting flight.  It was this that enabled them to plan and not waste time hunting for their connecting flight.  It was this that prevented them from being stranded overnight, alone, in North Carolina.  The TSA agent who spoke kindly to Seamus and wondered if he was young enough to keep his shoes on during the screening.  The triage nurses at the Buffalo General ER who were so nice to us, who still say hello when we use the ER entrance to get up to the floor to visit.  You may think that these little, seemingly insignificant nice things that you do are not a big deal, but they ARE a big deal.

Then there are our friends and family, here in Buffalo and in Virginia, who have showered us with love and support.  And my lovely friends in the blogging community who offered their prayers and support. This was a crisis we could not handle by ourselves and all that you do has helped us get through it.  Thank you.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're being cared for--all of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear that people are helping you out, including the TSA. It's nice to know that those folks are human after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you have people to help. I've never had to put any of my kids on a plane by themselves before. Even though I flew on a plane by myself at age 11, the thought of putting my own 11yo or the 14yo on a plane by themselves kind of terrifies me--mainly because of things like connections and other unexpected whatevers. Travel can be complicated. I'm glad yours got to their destination. Thank goodness for nice, helpful people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice to hear about the kindness of strangers, which often is so rare these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear things are getting better.

    Nice to know people still care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping for steady and growing improvement. Thinking good thoughts for you. Be kind to yourself the stress you and your family must be experiencing is immense so take everything very slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hollar if Grace & Seamus need a dinner dropped off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thinking of you and your family! I'm sending positive thoughts!
    Christin

    ReplyDelete