Friday, July 20, 2012

Friday Reading Assignment: Cool interlude

I am so hot and lethargic lately, I seriously considered writing "Friday Reading Assignment:  the TV edition."  I had to dig into my mental archives to find a worthy book and came up with  Frost on my Moustache by Tim Moore.  The title is the punchline to a hilarious joke, told in the book, which I'd love to retell here, but I don't want to spoil it, and anyway this is supposed to be an all-ages blog.  Tim Moore is one of my favorite travel writers, because he's funny  and incompetent, and comes up with harebrained travel adventures, such as following the path of Victorian adventurer, Lord Dufferin, as he does in this book.

It's been a long time since I read Frost on my Moustache, but it is firmly ensconced in the mental list of books that I definitely want to reread.  I recall a miserable journey on a ship, followed by a bicycling tour of Iceland, for which he is pathetically unprepared.  Then come terrifying flights to Spitzbergen and Franz Josef Land, where he's consumed with fear of being eaten by a polar bear and endures a grueling sort of tubing adventure in icy water.  Funny, and comfortable reading when it's 98 degrees outside.


3 comments:

  1. It may be funny, but he does look like a bit of a ponce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laoch, precisely why we should read this in the summertime.

    TSB, he fully acknowledge that he looks like a ponce.

    ReplyDelete