Friday, July 13, 2012

Friday Reading Assignment

Last week I burdened you with Faulkner, so I propose something a little easier today:  The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe.  If there was ever a book that influenced the creators of Mad Men, it was this one.  That said, it isn't Mad Men, just shares some elements with it.  It's 1952 and five girls are in the typing pool of a publishing house in New York.  They have sex and career-related adventures. This is one of those delicious books that you can escape into at the end of a hard day.  Sorry guys, this novel is bound to be more popular with the ladies.


Source: amazon.com via Aileen on Pinterest

4 comments:

  1. Again you and I have such matched reading habits! I JUST put this on hold at the library yesterday! Now that I know you liked it, I'm ever more excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading that as a teen and being fascinated by those girls. Might have to hunt it up again--I'll put it on my used-bookstore-find-list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like my kind of book. It's going on my to-read list now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this about thirty years ago. It is good because it gives you an idea of what it was like to live there in the early 1950s.

    ReplyDelete