Friday, August 31, 2012

Friday Reading Assignment: Hens Dancing

Hens Dancing, by Rafaella Barker--a recommendation by fellow C'ville blogger Becky--is the perfect comfort read.  It's like a Bridget Jones' Diary for mothers.  The heroine, Venetia, is recently divorced with two young sons and a charming infant daughter referred to as "The Beauty." They live in Norfolk.  I found myself surprisingly affected by certain scenes, such as the one when the heroine, Venetia's, ex-husband and his evil girlfriend arrive to take Venetia's infant away for the weekend.  There are also many funny parts about the usual things that we mothers find irritating:  a friend's bratty children, smug, perfect mothers of classmates, household messes and pets, and her eccentric mother.  Hens Dancing is a fun book to escape into.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked my recommendation! The follow up, "Summertime" is just as good. I wish there were more books in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation. (Thanks to both you and Becky, I guess!) I'm putting it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Distinct lack of aliens, explosions and SuperScience, so I'll be giving this one miss.

    Does it mention how boring Norfolk is?

    Oh, don't mind me, I'm just upset at being told off by an anonymous commentator.

    ReplyDelete