Monday, September 10, 2012

One girl, forty martinis

I pondered the martini menu at Bang, frustrated by the wealth of choices.  There was only one thing to do:  order every martini on the menu and describe them (here) so that I will never be flummoxed by the martini menu again.  Bang offers forty martinis.  Obviously, I can't order them all in one sitting, much as I would like to try.

First on the list is the "Afterglow"-- Knob Creek with a little lemongrass simple syrup and a lime wedge.  This is a big girl martini, and not a fruity little drink that you can suck down in ten seconds but I was already committed to EVERY MARTINI ON THE MENU so I ordered it.

To me, bourbon tastes like you are drinking out of a dusty old sock drawer, and perhaps that is the taste craved by bourbon connoisseurs.  What do I know?  I am not a fan, but that's not Bang's fault, and I managed to drink the whole thing, although it took forever.  It tasted much better after I'd had a bite-sized tuna tartare pizza and some shredded cucumber.  If you love bourbon, you would probably enjoy this drink.

Stay tuned, as I work my way through the rest of them.  Always working hard to keep the public informed. ;)

Bang!--Our go-to restaurant in Charlottesville.

13 comments:

  1. I love it when you taken on challenges like this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bourbon. But that martini doesn't sound good to me.

    I've noticed that they change the drink menu - not that I go there a lot, but when I do, the drink that I liked so much the last time I was there isn't on the menu anymore.

    So, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen. :)

    Becky, I noticed that too, but once I asked for a martini that they'd dropped from the menu and they made it for me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Screw world peace. This is the kind of community service that speaks to me. Looking forward to this series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting. I've had 3 or 4 of the martinis at Bang but can't remember what they were. All were delicious and subtly strong. Fruit punch for adults!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I think I'd like "Afterglow," and I'm with you on bourbon.
    I'm keeping posted on this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a good think you've accepted this mission --I need to be educated. I don't even know what ingredients make a drink a martini, as opposed to some other cocktail.

    Perhaps each of us should adopt this mission for a separate drink? I'd be happy to take on single-malt scotches :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think they use the word "martini" very loosely. My father's martinis were always gin+splash of vermouth+olive with no deviation, ever, unless we were out of olives and he had to resort to a cocktail onion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laoch, my dad stirred his martinis, but I think shaking is the preferred method?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry Jen, Bourbon is evil, an abomination in the eyes of the Gods of Scotch Whisky.

    It does however give a nice afterglow.

    Martinis, are however, just simply foul.

    ReplyDelete
  11. pc, http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1859/why-did-james-bond-want-his-martinis-shaken-not-stirred

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Laoch. I just watched Dr. No the other night and was surprised that James Bond specified a vodka martini.

    ReplyDelete