Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Christmas comes but every 24 months

My children have designated one particular day as the Holy of Holies; so special it only happens every two years and requires months of advance planning.  I am referring to the day that our cell phone contract expires.  This day is tomorrow and has even eclipsed Halloween as a day of excitement.  Ladies and gentlemen, it looks like we're switching to a data plan.

We're probably the last household in the US that doesn't have smart phones. (Except for Grace, who is Ms. Moneybags and unable to wait for the Day of Cell Phone Reckoning, bought her own iphone and her own cell phone contract which she pays herself with her own online billpay from her own checking account.  It's adorable.)

Myself, I don't even have a phone on our family plan and use my work-issued phone.

Behold: the world's most embarrassing phone


I used to actually be ashamed to be seen with this phone, then I was a little pugnacious: "you wanna sneer at my PHONE?" but now I'm like whatever, I don't care, so what if my phone resembles a tiny hand grenade?  I own this phone, people. (But not really.) I have gotten adept at texting on the number pad and feel like I am preserving a lost art whenever I do so.  Since this is a work-issued phone, I have inherited my predecessor's saved texting vocabulary: 4real, GENERATOR, DRUNK, and other words unrelated to medical software.  Actually, "DRUNK" might be mine, texted to Jon in the middle of the night when he wasn't home yet.  But I only used it once and now it wants to populate whenever I enter a "D."

So anyway, I did not do the months of advance planning, despite my children's constant reminders and now have 24 hours in which to research the confounding world of cell phone plans.  Could they make them any more confusing?





11 comments:

  1. No, I am the last holdout for a smart phone in the US. My pathetically old phone (which makes yours look up to date), has a 'pay as you go' plan, which means I rarely use it, except for in emergencies. I don't even know what the number is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a contest? :)

    Like Becky, I've got one of those cheap "pay as you go" phones and I grit my teeth at refilling it every few months when I only make a few dollars worth of calls. I receive so few calls on it that I don't even recognize the ring tone half of the time.

    Okay, let's see the next commenter out-cheap me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Don't know if this "out-cheaps" anybody, but the cell phone I have was pretty much forced upon me be my concerned neighbor when she got herself a new one. Like Becky, I don't even know my own number. Every three months I have to "refill" it for $10. I have over $50 in accrued minutes, that's how much I use it... Maybe we could form some kind of club here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does it have an antenna? Because THAT would make it even more awesome.
    Ugh. Phone plans make me feel ill. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does it have an antenna? Because THAT would make it even more awesome.
    Ugh. Phone plans make me feel ill. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I were in the hold-outs until last Christmas, when our land line (which was through Vonage, and our cable line) died.

    I have to admit, we both like having iPhones, but not because we ever use them as phones. We do text each other (really, they're iMessages, and free if you're in wifi, which we are at home and work!) and now I can text Emma's friends moms for playdates and NEVER have to talk to anyone on the phone ever again.

    Also, we live in the boonies, so most phone calls get dropped a couple of minutes in --another bonus when you don't like to talk on the phone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yet another pay-as-you-go dumb-phone Luddite here.

    I do, however, have an iPad. This reminds me, I paid for a month of 3G while traveling. Need to cancel that contract right about now.

    I have debated a smartphone for one reason: the HoosBus app. I use it on the iPad and iPod Touch when I have wifi access.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No one in our family has a smart phone, unless you count my husband's work Blackberry. I don't really think of Blackberries (Blackberrys, since it's a brand name? whatever) as being that smart, but maybe that's just me.

    I wish I could help you with your phone thing. But I think my next blog post is going to be about how much I hate my current phone and what a complete idiot I am at choosing phones because there couldn't possibly be a worse cell phone than the one I own. Maybe you should have me look at your options and then choose the opposite of what I choose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patience, I read your blog exclusively on my smartphone.

    ReplyDelete