Friday, November 30, 2012

Friday Reading Assignment: Marking Time

I was so bowled over by Elizabeth Jane Howard's The Light Years, that I had to go out immediately and get the sequel:  Marking Time.  It is every bit as good as its predecessor,  and may even be better.  The Light Years serves to introduce the family, and Marking Time solidifies the reader's relationship with them.  There's a sense that the real story has now begun, as has World War II.  While the first book gave a voice to many characters, Marking Time focuses more on the three girls of the Cazalet family: Louise, Polly, and Clary, who are in their teens.  Louise, who is slightly older, goes off to acting school, while Polly and Clary live at the family compound in the country under the supervision of a gentle governess.  The governess herself is a tragicomic figure.  The few bits of the story told from her perspective are especially well done, and the bracing little pep talks she gives herself make her seem more tragic, less comic, but one of those characters you'll remember long after you've read the book. 

I'm so glad I found this series, but I want to make the pleasure last longer, so probably will wait a bit before reading the last two books.  Next in line are The Red and the Black by Stendhal.  Also, a book called Trilby which was listed on my book list as Trilby--DuMaurier, so I was expecting a nice, comfortable romance by Daphne DuMaurier, but it turns out that Trilby was written by one George DuMaurier, which is a bit of a disappointment.  I feel very ignorant.  Has anyone heard of him?

6 comments:

  1. I have! But I do not know how...which is most helpful, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great when you find an author that you like and you notice that they have many more books out that you have not read yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, George DuMaurier was Daphne's grandfather. Also the father of Sylvia Llewelyn Davies, which is how I heard of him: in a book about J. M. Barrie's relationship with Sylvia's kids and how that inspired Peter Pan.

    I've never read Trilby, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do know that I now have THREE post-its by my laptop full of authors and books recommended by you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous...... I'm in the middle of Great Expectations....my first Dickens...... and loving it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy those Cazalets! I had a wonderful time reading them last winter. The governess is one of my favorite characters.

    ReplyDelete