Friday, November 16, 2012

Friday Reading Assignment

I have a treat for you this week:  The Light Years by Elizabeth Jane Howard.  THIS BOOK IS AWESOME.  It's the first of The Cazalet Chronicle series, which was also a BBC television mini-series.  (I haven't seen it yet.)

It's England in 1938 and the Cazelets are a rich middle class extended family.  The story is told from the perspective of most of the family members, including the children and servants.  It's like Upstairs Downstairs merged with Downton Abbey and The Camomile Lawn.

The Light Years is the sort of book you can't wait to return to after a long, dreary day.  Like real life, it's funny and tragic and awful.  I can't wait to read the remaining books in the series.

I'm a little embarrasssed about my inability to write a decent book review:  "This book is awesome.  It is about a family.  It reminds me of these other three books, one of which is not even a book, but a wildly popular TV show."

After I wrote the above, I thought of something more articulate that I could write about this book and then I forgot it, so we will have to settle for "THIS BOOK IS AWESOME!"


10 comments:

  1. Okay. You never ever use "AWESOME" so now I'm putting it on my Christmas list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read all of them! And there's a BBC series starring Hugh Bonneville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes when you can't find another word, AWESOME will do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oopsies, you did mention the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By book, do you mean those thingys with paper pages?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The paperback is 20 dollars on Amazon! How long is this thing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book is awesome is actually a very helpful review: no ambiguity, no uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure I've ever seen you this excited and enthusiastic about a book. I was going to order it for my Nook, but it's not available, so now I have to wait for the library copy to come in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SC, that is a shocking price for a paperback! Maybe they have a used one that's cheaper? My library copy is about 400 pages.

    Jen, whoops, that's me with the library's copy, but I'll be returning it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think "this book is awesome" is a perfectly acceptable book review. I mean, you don't want to give too much away, right?

    ReplyDelete