Monday, December 17, 2012

A Merry Pinterest Christmas

This post is my contribution to Jen on the Edge's Holiday Homes tour, as well as real-life results of a few Pinterest holiday crafts I attempted this year.

I wondered where to put the 20' of pine garland, and finally draped it over the triple window in our little sunroom.  I apologize for the shitty picture.  The fuse has already blown on the lights on the left half of the garland and I can't change it.  So sorry, so fat-fingered.

These are my children's christening cups, each topped with a moss ball.  I like how each cup shows the taste of each set of godparents.



Kali looks askance at a Santa I made years ago.



Inspired by Pinterest, I'm wrapping our presents in newspapers this year.  Here's how it looks on Pinterest:








Here's how it looks in real life:


I kind of like the result, actually.  It's a use for the million-yard spool of baker's twine I bought and the newspaper is easier to work with than the brown kraft paper I used last year.  Still, your hands end up filthy, and it's surprising how many pages in a newspaper are unsuitable for wrapping, due to colored ink.  The entire Sunday New York Times yielded enough paper for six or seven presents presents. (Yes, we read it first.)

This project involves decoupaging "vintage German papers" onto ornament balls.



As it happens, we're fresh out of vintage German papers, but pages torn out of an old paperback copy of Shogun worked fine.  I can't say I'm blown away by the finished project, but it isn't exactly awful either.



Acorns are plentiful and can be made into a number of decorations.
Source: etsy.com via Aileen on Pinterest

I went out to collect acorns and discovered that the squirrels had eaten them all.  Still, I gathered up some acorn caps, thinking they could be made into a garland, or a different pinterest project, such as the one pictured below.
Source: hgtv.com via Aileen on Pinterest


Here's what I have now.  I am already bored with this project.  These will probably end up in the trash. When it comes down to it, acorn caps are just not that interesting.


Is it wrong of me to covet the cutters that made these cookies?  (Pinned from Belgian Waffle's twitter.)

Source: twitpic.com via Aileen on Pinterest


14 comments:

  1. Hey there, you crafty bitch! Where did you get the energy? Acorn crafts look too time-consuming, but I like everything else you made. I made some Pinterest crafts last year but was too lazy to put them up this year. I barely dragged my flea-bitten carcass to the nursery to buy a small, overpriced tree.

    Do you have any Festivus decorations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your projects look great! And now you've inspired me to post my garland over the french doors in the dining room. You'll just have to see why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so craft deprived compared to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am quite impressed at your crafting ability, especially to finish things as I ponder a room full of unfinished projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, I am so glad I didn't summon the energy to go scoop up acorns on my last walk down Locust Avenue.

    Your gift wrapping is better than mine: I didn't bother with ribbons and I ran out of tags. Rather than make some or buy some, I've just been writing directly on the paper with Sharpies. I'm not even using names for my family: "To P, <3 J" and so forth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Utterly charming! Especially the Christmas balls--I love anything covered with the printed word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire your bravery in attempting Pinterest crafts. At least it seems like bravery to me. I like the paper balls.

    There's some blog out there that's all about some ladies' attempts to reproduce Pinterest stuff, but I can't remember what it's called. Something clever. I don't know. I find it kind of depressing, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the use of the newspaper for wrapping. And I think your ornament balls turned out great.

    Emma and I went to collect acorns for her birthday decorations in early November and found only caps as well. We ditched them eventually too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the tags on the newspaper wrapped gifts! I asked a friend to make me similar shaped ones, with pictures of the folks receiving the presents. Picking them up today, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I refuse to feel guilty you acorn gathering hussy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't believe you actually collected acorns! I really like the baubles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post... I think I even pinned some of those projects myself, but didn't get any done. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd like to give you the world's largest High Five for actually DOING some projects from Pinterest.

    Seriously, who DOES that? Just kidding :) I really love the presents wrapped in newsprint, but hadn't thought about, until you pointed it out, that there was so little black/white type newspaper in the papers. Great point.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I happen to love that Santa and the moss balls in the silver cups. Those cookies? Awesome.
    I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry over those acorns... but I'm really liking the newsprint wrapping job. Yours would look exactly like the ones in the picture if you had the professional lighting thing happening, so I give you an A++. (Colored comics pages are, of course, fab birthday wrap.)

    Sometime in the next week or two I will have to post what happened when we made Pinterest-inspired graham cracker houses.

    ReplyDelete