Wednesday, January 02, 2013

A retrospective

Happy New Year to all of my dear readers.  I hope 2013 is happy and healthy for all of you.



I spent New Year's Eve watching Holiday Inn, the 1942 movie in which Bing Crosby first sang "White Christmas."  (The White Christmas movie came out more than ten years later in 1954.)  Holiday Inn is delicious.  It's cheesy as hell, particularly a patriotic montage we're treated to when the inn celebrates the 4th of July, and it stars Fred Astaire, who I need to see more of.  There are few things I like more than cheesy 1940's musicals.

So, 2012 kind of sucked for us, for various reasons that mostly didn't make it to the blog. The low point was when one of our children was hospitalized for eleven days when we were on a trip to New York.  He has been recovering well, thank God, but it was a horrible summer for all of us, not made any easier by a punishing set of deadlines for me at work and part of a walnut tree crashing onto our roof during a storm. There was a lot of other crappy stuff--legal issues, mostly that I never went into here.

I did a little fun research into what my readers liked most at Fatuous Observations. Here are my most popular posts of 2012:

An Illustrated Guide to Jane Eyre


Patience's Kitchen of Despair

One Girl, Forty Martinis

Books that Suck

Walk Safely and Carry a Big Stick

And my favorite, The Tale of the Three Repairmen

What were your 2012 superlatives?




3 comments:

  1. It was a good year here, but December was epic between surprising D with a pinball machine for Christmas and enjoying party after party after party... The only bummer in Dec. was the Packers losing to the Vikings.

    Hope the martini posts keep coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2012 had some really crappy aspects to it...for sure. There were some nice resolutions to those crappy issues and though I'm grateful for them, I'm more than happy to move on. Can't wait to move along with you and your blog. It was one of the best discoveries of 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a tragedy in our extended family, but otherwise for me personally the year was quite good.

    ReplyDelete