Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Hello!

I changed my browser and now I can get my photos into my posts, at least those from my phone.  I forgot to pack the cable that goes from camera to laptop, so I can only get phone pics for now.  I have posted a few onto my twitter and Patience Crabstick facebook page.

It's Wednesday afternoon here, and I'm resting after a trip to the Oceanarium.  All four kids are out doing their own thing.  Lisbon is a beautiful city.  It's very hilly and the houses cling to the hillsides.  They have red tiled roofs and many are covered on the outside with painted ceramic tiles.  I had been hoping to buy some pottery here, but there is so much pottery that's made specially for the tourist market and that's not what I want. 

Here's our apartment building.  We're on the third floor.
 Here we are outside the Castelo de Sao Jorge

There are these old fashioned, rattling, yellow, wooden trams everywhere and I think this afternoon, I'll take a ride on the #28, because I am such a geek over anything that runs on rails. Ian and I spent a morning riding the funiculars. Seamus is getting along OK with Portuguese, but I am finding it more difficult than Italian.  There are so many "oosh" sounds, you think you're hearing Russian. 

I hope to post later with something more organized.

Ciao!



7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great vacation so far. I would love to ride on a funicular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea Lisbon was hilly. How is the food?

    ReplyDelete
  3. NB, the food is good as long as you stay out of the tourist traps. Lisbon is SO hilly. I have about 10,000 pictures of red tile roofs from different vantage points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a glorious time. After last year, you deserve it. Even if last year hadn't sucked, you'd still deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty! Cannot wait to hear about the trains.

    ReplyDelete