Monday, January 28, 2013

Oceanarium

I suspect that Jon hates it when I drag him onto public transportation in foreign cities.  He doesn't say that he hates it, but he radiates tension whenever I do this to him.  I, on the other hand, can't visit a city without sampling its public transportation. The kids were determined to see Lisbon's Oceanarium, the largest aquarium in Europe, and the only way to get there is on the subway.  We used our viva viagem cards, which are Lisbon's rechargeable public transportation cards. One transfer and twelve stops later, we were in a distant, modern part of Lisbon.


The big draw at the Lisbon Oceanarium is the 2,000 pound ocean sunfish.  Due to my profound ignorance about marine life, I imagined a sunfish to be something like this, only, you know, not a little girl, but a FISH.




Turns out, an ocean sunfish is more like a platter with fins.  How it manages to weigh 2,000 pounds is beyond me, because it doesn't look that big.  They are, apparently, difficult to keep in captivity.

Here he is.



It was dark, and we couldn't use a flash, so the pictures are not great.

Sea Dragon




Sea Otters!


Brigid, Grace, Seamus


Me





7 comments:

  1. That sea dragon is just cool. I love aquariums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw water I didn't find fascinating. Looks like it was worth the trip. Great shot of that ray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trip looks like it was a fabulous adventure. You sure have beautiful kids! How were the martinis in Lisbon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you stop for sushi afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs G, I only drank wine. There were lots of cocktails and you can buy rum and vodka at the supermarket, but I wasn't really in the martini mood.

    Laoch, ha ha. No, we did not. Actually, I don't recall seeing any sushi places, but you can get a nice, very lightly seared tuna steak there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that jellyfish picture. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete