Thursday, March 07, 2013

Friday Reading Assignment: On the nightstand

Actual Nightstand

The nightstand:  ideal place to keep the books you're planning to read soon. (Opposed to the bookcase, where you keep the books you're planning to read someday.)  Here's what's on my nightstand right now.

The Philosopher's Pupil by Iris Murdoch.  This is what I'm reading now. It has the classic Murdoch elements:  well-off people living in beautiful houses, facing existential crises, and dogs with personality.

An English Year by Nan Fairbrother.  Also reading this, although very slowly.  The chronicle of a year, written by a woman who was living in the English countryside with her two small children while her husband was off fighting in WW II.

The Complete Book of Sewing by Constance Talbot.  Written in 1943.  Fabulous illustrations.

Confusion by Elizabeth Jane Howard.  Book three of the Cazalet Chronicles.

Casting Off  by Elizabeth Jane Howard.  Book four (and last) of the Cazalet Chronicles.

Castle Rackrent by Maria Edgeworth.  Written in 1800.  Possibly inspiration for Jane Austen.

Inflating a Dog:  The Story of Ella's Lunch Launch by Eric Kraft.  Eric Kraft's whimsical novels are hit and miss for me, but I can't resist the "lunch launch."

Nikolai Gogol by Vladimir Nabokov

Miss Buncle's Book by D.E.Stevenson

The Far Side of the World by Patrick O'Brian  The 10th book in the superb Aubrey/Maturin series.

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson.  A long-term resident of the nightstand.  I read it when I'm bored with whatever else I'm reading.

Whipped, not Beaten by blogging friend Melissa Westemeier. I'm saving this one for a rainy day when I need cheering up.

 

7 comments:

  1. Well, damn. I feel like I'm at a party with all the really cool people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many books piled around my nightstand, I don't know where to begin. Not to mention on my kindle.

    I really would love to take a gander at The Complete Book of Sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That particular Bryson is one of my two favorites of his. (The other is, of course, "A Walk in the Woods.")

    I saved Mel's book for an actual rainy day, during which I sat down with a cup of tea and a plate of treats and read all afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, I now covet that nightstand with the built-in bookshelf. I have to stack the books on top of mine, and it's getting kind of precarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great list! I, too, have Melissa's book on my nightstand. Can't wait to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becca, I bought it on clearance from Pottery Barn. Now I regret not buying two, so my husband could have his own on his side of the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My book pile has overcome my nightstand, sadly. I love the Murdoch book.

    ReplyDelete