Monday, August 26, 2013

House, Hiking, and Deep Space

Much progress on the house, although once again the work was slowed by rain.  I don't want to show the full frontal until the trim is finished and we have all the tools and debris cleared away, but here's a preview of the back and sides.




Sunday morning, Ian and I hiked Humpback Rocks, which is our go-to hike when we don't want to make a project out of it.  It's a short but fierce twenty minute ascent. We charged our way to the top without stopping to rest.  As we approached the summit, and I was congratulating myself on my superior fitness, I heard the unmistakable sound of a newborn baby crying.  Then a bride appeared, who had apparently hiked the whole trail while carrying a perfect bouquet of roses and a garment bag that contained (presumably) her veil and gown.  So much for my superior fitness!
Approaching the top


Ian at the top
We were home by 12:30, just in time to help our neighbors kill the keg from their party the night before.  Also on the agenda this weekend:  taking care of Sancho, who is sick and needs a special diet, and medications, and I also gathered enough ripe figs to make jam, and also put up some peach chutney.  We love chutney and it's nice to have an alternative to the sticky Major Grey stuff.

I would like to finish the front hall, but now I have a more pressing project:  I will be going to a week-long conference for work to the Epic's "intergalactic headquarters" in Madison, Wisconsin, and I need a "deep space" themed costume.  What do you think would be original and also work-appropriate?  There will probably be 800 Princess Leias and Lieutenant Uhuras.  I'm thinking maybe Mrs. Which from A Wrinkle in Time or Miss Pickerell from Miss Pickerell Goes to Mars.  These are more my line than minidresses and go go boots.


Other ideas?

They really call it the "intergalactic HQ"

10 comments:

  1. The new house color is terrific!

    I'm not a fan of sci fi, so having to attend a sci fi event AND wear something themed would send me into fits of panic. I'd probably just knit a really long scarf and go as the Tom Baker Dr. Who.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigorney Weaver from Alien. I totally botched the spelling on that name but I'm so excited you'll be in MADISON! Give me a shout if you have free time and I'll shoot down and visit you!
    I like how your house is shaping up.
    Leave it to other people to diminish your hiking prowess. Pft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Miss Pickerell books! But you could just drape yourself in a navy blue sheet covered with star stickers, too. Unless I'm being an idiot and "Deep Space" only means sci-fi, not astronomy.

    Wait, how about dressing as a black hole? That should be easy.

    Totally jealous of people with jobs who get to go to fun conferences. My neighbor is a librarian; and let me tell you, the ALA knows how to throw a party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New costume possibilities! I could wrap myself in taffeta and be the aurora borealis.

      Delete
  4. Mrs. Which - I love her.

    House looks good. Hope the peaches in the chutney were not assholes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the method described on the Food in Jars website and it was much easier.

      Delete
  5. You have to dress in costume for part of a work-conference?! I love Sci-Fi, but I'm allergic to pretending that my co-workers are my best friends. You guys don't have to do any role-playing, do you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think role playing will be necessary. If only I'd been invited two years ago when the theme was fairy tales!

      Delete