Monday, September 09, 2013

Instagram and Independence

Ever since Seamus was born, "four kids to put through college" has been a nearly constant drumbeat in my head.  Now Ian has graduated from college, and last week moved into his very own apartment.  Of course one wants one's children to move on and be independent, but it can be difficult to let go. I read a great piece on this very subject over at Privilege.  Do we ever consider our children to be settled? Just when my kid is on the verge of being independent, I turn into a helicopter parent.  Ian moved out six days ago, and I have reminded him approximately 467 times to go to the laundromat and I'm obsessing over all the things he needs to complete his household. HOW CAN MY BABY LIVE WITHOUT A CUTTING BOARD? A PARING KNIFE? A PIZZA PAN? I've been diverting our furniture to him, which has created some logistical issues on the home front.

It's OK, I've been planning to buy a new bookcase anyway.


In other news, if you follow me on twitter, you may have noticed an explosion of blurry instagram photos with misspelled captions because I finally got around to resetting my instagram password. No, I was not drunk when I posted those pictures, but I must have been visually impaired, particularly when taking the photo labeled "Birthday Boys" in which one of the subjects appears to be scrubbing his armpit, while the other picks his nose.

I didn't really get into Instagram when I first signed up.  I don't even have a smart phone, and have to use Jon's.  But now I'm obsessed with it and its EZ filters-for-people-who-can't-take-pictures.

"artistically" enhanced picture of marinara sauce



I am pleased with this picture of our yellow house and our cobalt planter.  (Yes, the house is nearly done. It just needs gutters.)



You wish you were me now.



Do you have an instagram?  Let me know so I can follow you!

10 comments:

  1. I guess you need a good camera phone to use Instagram? Or can it just be a wi-fi-enabled camera? See, I'm an idiot.

    It helps if they move out on their own far enough away that you cannot see that they are drinking juice straight out of the jug or going without a shower curtain. Not that any of my adult children would EVER do that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have to have some kind of smartphone. You can access it on a computer, but only in a limited way. If there's a way to put photos on instagram that doesn't involve a smart phone, I'm not aware of it.

      Delete
  2. You are SO cool with the instagram. I don't even understand what it is.
    I can imagine becoming that freaked out parent when my first kid moves out--overstocking them with toothpaste and dishes and what-not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you can take a really crummy photo and make it look interesting on there. I just can't seem to write up some of those witty captions though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go to a meme generator to get the caption about instagram.

      Delete
  4. I have Instagram and twitter, but I can't manage that plus Pinterest and Facebook. It's overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have the equipment but the pics do look fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have Instagram, but my family jokes about it all the time. Usually in the context of "Our dinner is beautiful. Let's Instagram it."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm margaretjane1257
    ps you'll probably be seeing me in November

    ReplyDelete