Friday, October 18, 2013

Friday Reading Assignment: On the Nightstand

What's on my nightstand lately?



The Essays of Elia by Charles Lamb.  Lamb was buddies with Wordsworth and Coleridge and other writers of the romantic era.  I have only just started this book, but so far the essays have been quietly amusing.

The Book and the Brotherhood by Iris Murdoch.  I've been reading my way through all of Murdoch, and this is where I am now.  She wrote twenty-seven novels, of which I have now read twenty-three.  I haven't read a single Murdoch novel that I didn't love.  I've just started this one, and it's still a bewildering crowd of characters I can't keep straight, but all should become clear after a few more pages, I hope.

Dark Tide: The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919 by Stephen Puleo.  Can you imagine 2.3 million gallons of molasses flooding your neighborhood and killing dozens of your neighbors?  It seems incredible, but that is what happened in the North End of Boston in 1919.

Green Eyes by Jean Nielsen.  Another mid-century young adult novel.  I can't wait!

The Tricksters by Margaret Mahy.  A New Zealand-based children's writer, Mahy writes spooky, supernatural stories.

Slipstream by Elizabeth Jane Howard.  Remember the Cazalet Chronicles that I loved so much?  This is the author's memoir.

Happy reading!  What's on your nightstand?

6 comments:

  1. "And then there were none" for the Unicorn Revolution book club.
    "Life of Pi" because after watching the movie I realized I hadn't read the book.
    And the new Stephen King. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Life of Pi either. The movie is coming u soon in our netflix queue.

      Delete
  2. I don't have the endurance for all of Iris Murdoch, but I could take on all of Elizabeth Jane Howard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can take a bit of time to get into a Murdoch novel, but she can be *hilarious* at times.

      Delete
  3. Oh lord! I recently purged my nightstand because the tower of unread books that I INTENDED to read became dangerously high. The survivors are: Elsewhere by Richard Russo, Below Stairs by Margaret Powell, Alma Hitchcock (The Woman Behind the Man) by Pat Hitchcock O'Connell, "In The Stacks: Short Stories about Libraries and Librarians". When I drive, I'm listening to the new biography on Salinger...or podcasts on Stitcher radio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was plugging away at Command and Control for a couple weeks. Now I'm onto The Lowlands by Jhumpa Lahiri. Library books come first. Dr. Sleep will have to wait. Oh, I love the Cazalet Chronicles so I'll have to look for Slipstream.

    ReplyDelete