Wednesday, October 02, 2013

One Girl, 40 Martinis VIII

The final installment.  I have now drunk every single martini on the Bang menu.  It took just over a year. I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed.  Do I get some sort of prize now?
The Suave

The Suave:  Cucumber vodka, vermouth, mint, white grape juice.  Despite the grape juice, this one is more like a traditional martini, rather than a girly little fruit drink.  I liked it better than the martoni, an earlier version of Bang's cucumber vodka martini, which is no longer on the menu.  A good choice if you want to pretend to be sophisticated, but aren't quite ready for a traditional vodka martini.

Toasted Almond


The Toasted Almond:  I drank this on my birthday, in lieu of a cake.  Vanilla vodka, Kahlua, cream, and cinnamon, and another liquor I can't remember, but which must be the one with the almond flavor. Yummy and would probably be a good choice around the holidays.

Swingtini

Swingtini:  Vodka and gin with a twist and an olive.  I'm not sure if vodka and gin are meant to be mixed in the same drink.  This drink reminded me of my childhood and the smell of gin from my father's martinis.  Jon was similarly affected, saying that it reminded him of the concoctions he used to make when dabbling in his parents' liquor cabinet.

Tokyo Manhattan


Tokyo Manhattan:  A Manhattan with Saki, only I think this one has some juice in it too.  Consumed on a random Wednesday I had such a terrible day at work that I demanded that Jon take me out for a drink, and then we went to a friend's house and somehow four of us consumed two bottles of champagne, so you must excuse me for not having a clear memory of what this tasted like.  It's not among the favorites.  It didn't taste anything like a Manhattan.


Chocolate Martini


White Chocolate:  A good treat martini.  The glass comes drizzled with chocolate sauce.  Who would ever think that vodka and chocolate go well together?  I believe there's some Bailey's in there too.  The night I ordered this one, we amused ourselves watching the atrocious driving on Second and South streets.  What's with all the people who drive the wrong way down Second St?  Most people figure it out, or get yelled at by nearby cabbies until they turn around, but this woman the night of the chocolate martini determinedly drove the wrong way the whole length of the street, even in the face of cars coming at her going the right way.  Oh Charlottesville.

Wisteria Lane

Wisteria Lane:  The final martini.  Tart and fruity.  It reminded me of the pomegranate Cosmo I drank earlier in the summer, only more tart.  A good choice for someone who wants something easy to drink that isn't too sweet.

13 comments:

  1. You'll need a a worthy new quest now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll find another local restaurant with a good cocktail menu. Most around here have just a handful of options, not 40.

      Delete
  2. Did you drink in alphabetical order?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but only because that's how they are organized on the menu.

      Delete
  3. Now that sounds like hard work, drinking all those martinis. LOL
    Our family dog when growing up was named Chili Rey of Martinis, in an homage to the drink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suggest finding a bar that serves a White Linen: St Germain Elderberry Liqueur, gin, cucumber, lemon and club soda. Sublime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you inform the owner or bartender of your accomplishment? Perhaps he will create a 41st martini in your honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too shy to tell the bartenders, although they got to know us, since we were in there almost every Friday and they may have noticed that I was working my way through the menu

      Delete
  6. Now you and Dad can find a new restaurant to go to on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can drink your way through the tequilas at Continental Divide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should get a commemorative t-shirt or something for your effort here.

    ReplyDelete