Monday, November 11, 2013

Hall project update

You may remember that several months ago, I announced that I was going to paint my front hall, stairway and upstairs landings.  You may also recall that some past owner of the house painted all the woodwork with hideous mustard colored oil based paint and then the owners previous to us hastily slapped white latex over the oil based, with unfortunate results.

The man at Meadowbrook Hardware said I had to get ALL of the white paint off the wood.  The man at Lowe's said I had to get "most" of it off.  My goal was all, but I settled for most.

When you get to the top of our stairs, you are on a very small landing and confronted with three doors.  To the left is the bathroom, to the right is Seamus' room, and straight ahead is Grace's room.  Each doorway is heavily encased in wood trim.  My tiny landing has more molding per square inch than King Gustav's hunting lodge, if he had a hunting lodge, which I'm assuming he did and that it was ornate.


So I scraped and scrubbed and applied stripper in a few stubborn areas, and then scraped some more. No matter how much white paint I removed, there was always more.  There comes a point when you are just done, and I was done on Sunday morning at 08:55.



So I applied the oil-based primer, which is what I have been told is the necessary buffer between the mustard oil-base and the new white latex that I will be applying.  And was I still finding loose flakes of white paint as I primed, even though I'd sanded and washed with TSP and sanded again?  Yes.  Also, the previous owners painted right over the grime on the mustard paint.  I can't say I blame them.  If I bought a house with mustard woodwork, I'd probably slap something over it pretty damn quick.  Primed wood isn't pretty, but it is WORLDS better than this:


I KNOW about the visible brush strokes.
Oil-based paint is hard to work with.
I'm pretty sure the top coat will hide my brush strokes.

I haven't done the doors, just the trim around them.  I think I will send the doors away to be dipped and re-painted.  Fun fact:  do you see the ceiling?  It was painted mustard too.  There's a half-moon slice of mustard paint still visible around half of our smoke detector.

This project is so not even close to being done.  There is still all the woodwork on the stairs and around the front door and the downstairs hall, and once all of that is primed and painted, there are the walls. Now that the upstairs landing is primed, I'm going to do the molding under the staircase. This should go much faster because it is flat.  I hate that curlicue trim, but I'm not into replacing it right now.



8 comments:

  1. Try painting the curlicue so that it blends into the wall, rather than standing out. That might help you live with it a little bit more. (Although I'd love to take it off your hands and put it on my staircase.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to try that tactic in reverse and paint the curlicue and the red stripe below it all white.

      Delete
  2. We have the exact same curlicue trim and spindles in our house. On ours, the curlicues and the space leading down to where you have the straight piece of white trim are all painted white, and it definitely doesn't stand out as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we will paint it that way too. The whole piece is made of wood, not drywall, so it makes sense to keep it all white. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm wiped out just READING of this ordeal. Sounds worse than stripping wallpaper. Bless you for your love on this house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never stripped wallpaper before, but I've heard it's pretty bad.

      Delete
    2. I've done it. Which is why I decided the ancient wallpaper in my dining room needed to stay.

      Delete
  4. I believe there is a special place in hades for folks that paint latex over oil.

    ReplyDelete