Monday, April 28, 2014

Competitive Weekending

I have been neglecting my blog lately, or else writing hurried posts and I feel bad about that because I truly enjoy writing and reading all your comments.  Work has been kicking my ass lately.  Lots of huge projects  and looming deadlines.

Reaching a deadline


Outside of work, I've been busier than usual, so the blog gets pushed to the back burner.  This weekend was the first in a while in which we weren't traveling or caught up with other events and we did all kinds of exemplary weekend-y things. (Have you noticed how weekends have become a competitive sport?) Friday night, Jon and I went to Bang, the restaurant of forty martinis.  We haven't been there in ages and it was nice to revisit some of my favorite tapas and savor a Pink Flamingo martini.

Saturday morning, in the manner of a healthy living blogger, I ran to the farmer's market.  I didn't buy anything, but stopped by my Mad Hatter friends' booth.  I'm a bit soured on the Charlottesville farmer's market and I'm thinking of switching to Waynesboro's. Later, I painted the walls in the front hall.  After all my griping about how gray was too cold and "interrogation room" I ended up choosing gray paint anyway.  (Sherwin Williams "pediment.")  Forgive me for being fickle!


It's not done.  Oh, no, not even close.



I painted as high as I could reach with this ladder set up, which wasn't quite high enough.  Jon was very cross about this, as I snuck the ladder into the house through the back door when he wasn't looking.  As far as he is concerned, we could have left the hall alone, saved ourselves a lot of trouble, and everything would be fine.  As far as I'm concerned, everything would NOT be fine because everything would still be ORANGE.

This is why we paint the hall only once every 15 years


Saturday night we went to the new Crozet Pizza Pourhouse with ER friends.  We were in a celebratory mood because earlier that day Jon gave the keynote address at Aircare's annual Education Day.  He had been preparing for months, so it was a relief to have delivered a successful speech.  Aircare provides helicopter transport and emergency medical services for critically ill and injured in the Shenandoah Valley and West Virginia.

The big news is that I'm leaving for Cape Town on Friday.  I can't wait to see Brigid!  I'm going alone because Jon didn't feel he could get away from work, and the kids have exams and such.  I admit, it's scary to travel so far on my own.  I'm a little embarrassed because it's such a self-indulgent trip; conspicuous consumption and all that, plus abandoning my work colleagues when there is so much to be done.  On the other hand, in ten year's time, would I regret taking the opportunity to visit my daughter or would I regret sticking around in my cube to work?

Brigid took this photo in Cape Town.



17 comments:

  1. The hallway looks terrific!

    I am so glad you're going to Cape Town and I'm looking forward to your posts afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the gray - great choice! And travel is never a bad idea... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your trip sounds fantastic. Of course you should go visit Brigid while she's halfway across the world and screw everything else.
    The new color looks fantastic.
    Tell me why you're sour on the City Market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prices, the "I'm here to look cool" vibe. Also--and I know I am totally beating a dead horse here--the fact that our good friend's legitimate local business was wait-listed for a spot, while a bakery chain from Montana has had a booth for three years in a row. (Our friends did eventually get a booth, but still.)

      Delete
    2. Very valid reasons. One of the reasons why I'm involved is because of stories like that. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip! The hallway looks great! Don't feel bad about work. That's what vacation time is for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Competitive weekending -- I love this phrase. There is also a competition involving overscheduling and busyness that I'm failing.

    Don't feel guilty about going on a once-in-a-lifetime trip. Cape Town looks beautiful and you'll have memories for a lifetime. Cue the Hallmark Card department!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You won't regret taking that trip, that's for sure. What is she doing in Cape Town?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has been doing a semester study abroad at the University of Cape Town.

      Delete
  7. Getting rid of the orange is definitely worth the effort! You are so right --you will not regret that trip! Totally a memory worth making.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How marvelous for you to take that trip!
    The hallway looks incredible--and kind of scary.
    Finally, my life has been EXACTLY like yours and I feel just like that image of the frantic running-crash-landing horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I hope things slow down for you soon, Green Girl.

      Delete
  9. I really think that the gray (grey?) works.

    Much more restful than that burnt orange.

    Have a lovely trip to Serf Efrika.
    Enjoy the Rugby and the food.

    I've heard the wildlife is quite nice.


    Don't forget to take some pictures.

    ReplyDelete