Monday, August 25, 2014

Made: Amy Butler Barcelona Skirt

I finished my new skirt!  I'm pleased with the fit and construction, (considering it is my first attempt at an adult garment in many years) but I think I made a poor fabric choice.  I was going for the whimsical look of a skirt from Boden, but this reminds me of a hospital gown or a baby blanket or a duvet cover.  It's lined, so the skirt has some heft, even though the fabric is a lightweight cotton.

Phoebe would NOT get out of the way




I'm not sure what I was thinking when I decided that I needed to make the large size, but it turned out to be enormous.  I hate tight clothing and tend to buy things a little oversized, but there is relaxed, and there is ridiculous, and the large skirt made me look like a dustbowl farmwife.  I had to rip out the zipper and remake the whole skirt as a medium.  It was a pain at the time, but when I look back at the things I've sewed and crafted over the years, there has never been an instance in which I regretted ripping out and re-doing my work.  As my dear great aunt, Sister Ellen used to say, "All good knitters rip."  The same applies to seamstresses.

I've already started a muslin for a bias-cut plaid version of this skirt.  I've been wanting a bias-cut plaid skirt for ages.  I used plaid scraps from my fabric basket for my practice version of this skirt.  Wool is expensive and matching plaid just right is intimidating.

I used Amy Butler's Barcelona Skirt pattern, which you can see here.  Or search for the hashtag #barcelonaskirt on instagram to see what other people have done with this pattern.

7 comments:

  1. Somebody's getting too fancy for the neighborhood with a lined skirt. It looks fabulous and fits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My second sewing project ever - I learned how to sew in a home ec class in high school - my mother gave me a dress she wanted made for a my sister. It was a plaid jumper. The plaid was an impossibly small & busy pattern that was quite difficult to match up. Worse, the top of the dress was a lined 'bib' design and the nun I had for that class insisted I match the plaid inside & out. On top of that, my mother didn't get enough fabric to properly match the plaid. I cried over that project. To this day, I shy away from matching patterns.

    A lined skirt with a zipper is quite the accomplishment! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's Boden-CUTE. And I'd find it hard to believe you are a "large." Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Figuring out what fabric to use is always the biggest issue for me (well, that, and you know, the actually sewing!).

    ReplyDelete